THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

April

>> Friday, July 14, 2006

The Quilter’s Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini: This is another new author to me. Clearly the primary reason for picking this book was that I needed a Q book for my alphabetical list. I ended up enjoying the book and will probably eventually read the rest of the series. Found the elmcreek.net website to look at the quilts as described in the book – which was nice.

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow: This is one of those books that has been on my bookshelf for years, but I’ve never read. I have seen the movie, so wasn’t surprised that the characters were not named for the most part and that it jumped around a lot. I really just thought it was OK.

Still Waters by Tami Hoag: This is the first Tami Hoag book I’ve read. I really enjoyed it. It’s a good thriller with a bit of romance thrown in. I’m probably going to read more of her books, but will stick with her suspense novels. Looks like she’s got a few romances out there that don’t interest me as much.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: It’s been years since I read this book. I’m glad I read it again. Harper Lee only wrote one book, but it was a doozy. Considering it had been many years since I last read this, I was surprised at how much of it I remembered. This is still one of my all time favorites.

Upstate by Kalisha Buckhanon: Yet another recommendation from my bookseller friend. Her tastes are as eclectic as mine when it comes to books and I’m surprised just how often they mesh. This novel is written as a series of letters between two young African-American kids from Harlem. He’s 17 and in jail for possibly killing his father, she’s 16 and thinks he’s the love of her life. Their letters tell a compelling coming of age story for both of them in often brutal, but genuine language.

The Virgin’s Lover by Phillipa Gregory: Another of her ventures into historical fiction about Tudor royalty. I enjoyed this one. Although it’s clearly fiction and not history, it’s fun.


Whiteout by Ken Follett: His books range from historical fiction, to wartime thrillers to suspense. This one certainly caught my interest right off the bat. Then it drifted into just OK in the middle. Tension made the end better again, but not great. Follett can write some great books, but he can also write some duds (The Third Twin). This one was good, but not great.

0 comments:

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP