THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

N - Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund

>> Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I’d been told that it’s slow to start for some folks, but worth hanging in. It was definitely slow to start for me. I really didn’t feel engaged in the story till about page 150 or so. I didn’t love the book, but I also didn’t dislike it enough to give up on it. Just about the time I felt it was too wordy or over the top, I’d happen upon a really beautiful phrase, sentence or paragraph that pulled me back in. I was home sick from work and finished the second half of the book in 2 days which allowed me to really wrap myself in the language and setting. All in all, I probably wouldn’t recommend it, but I’m glad I read it.

It had some fabulous moments and the whole concept of wrapping the story around a story we're familiar with was intriguing. In places she pulled it off well. Other places it was just kind of over the top in an effort to bring in so many different historical figures and social issues. Particularly near the end it felt like the author was trying to rush in everything she hadn't checked off her list yet.

2 comments:

Joy 7/23/2006 7:51 AM  

Pretty Blog, Suzi! :)

auntie-c 7/23/2006 6:22 PM  

I checked Ahab's Wife out of the library today because of you. :-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP