THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Dracula by Bram Stoker

>> Sunday, January 28, 2007

This was my second book for The Winter Classics Challenge.

I’m not really sure why I’ve never actually read this, but I am most definitely glad that I finally did. I was hooked nearly from the first few pages. The moodiness of the writing and the layer after layer of suspense had me wanting to just hide away and read it straight through. I hadn’t realized that the book is not written in a standard omniscient narrator or single point of view. The tale is told via journal entries, letters, newspaper articles, etc from the various characters as the story unfolds. The sense of participating in Jonathan Harker’s growing sense of unease right from the beginning is compelling.

What manner of man is this, or what manner of creature, is it in the semblance of man? I feel the dread of this horrible place overpowering me. I am in fear, in awful fear, and there is no escape for me. I am encompassed about with terrors that I dare not think of.

and
I knew he had left the castle now, and thought to use the opportunity to explore more than I had dared to do as yet. I went back to the room, and taking a lamp, tried all the doors. They were all locked, as I had expected, and the locks were comparatively new. But I went down the stone stairs to the hall where I had entered originally. I found I could pull back the bolts easily enough and unhook the great chains. But the door was locked, and the key was gone!


Reading this book took me back to Saturday afternoons when I was a kid. We’d play Monopoly and watch the old black and white horror movies on TV. I’ve seen several movie versions of the Dracula story, but all of them have been adapted enough to make reading the original feel like reading a fresh story.

10 comments:

Lynne 1/28/2007 4:06 PM  

I've never read this book, but I have seen plenty of Dracula movies. I might have to pick this up some day.

I see you're starting LITTLE WOMEN now - so am I!

SuziQoregon 1/28/2007 4:09 PM  

Lynne: Cool - I didn't realize you were going to be reading Little Women too :-)

Literary Feline 1/28/2007 5:06 PM  

Great review! I read Dracula last fall and really enjoyed it.

ML 1/29/2007 8:01 AM  

I haven't read this book, but it sounds fascinating! Thanks for the great review.

nessie 1/29/2007 8:08 PM  

I have been wanting to see the Gary Oldman version of Dracula but have been holding back because have been meaning to read the book. however, it just didnt grip me at first - that was 7 years ago and I 17 years old. A whole other lifetime.

SuziQoregon 2/02/2007 8:20 AM  

Literary Feline: I was surprised that the story actually seemed fresh. It made me realize that none of the movie versions I've seen have been true to the book.

ML: It's definitely worth a read.

Nessie: Now that I've read the book, I want to see that movie version. I've heard that it's quite good.

Booklogged 2/02/2007 7:45 PM  

SuziQ, good for you - finishing such a fat chunkster. I've heard so many good things about this book. Someday I will get to it.

SuziQoregon 2/05/2007 7:08 AM  

Booklogged - It's definitely worth keeping on your list. Maybe if there's another RIP challenge next fall??

Heather,  2/06/2007 4:12 PM  

Good review. I've never read the story but I was planning to soon - perhaps around Halloween.

SuziQoregon 2/06/2007 6:23 PM  

Heather: that would be a perfect time to read it ;-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP