THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook - Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

>> Monday, March 5, 2007

This is a new series for me. I’ve heard good things about Peters’ Amelia Peabody series and decided to give the first one a try as an audiobook. The setting and heroine are unique. Amelia Peabody is a wealthy 32 year old single woman in the 1880’s. She combines a bit of conventionalism with a hefty dose of some fierce independence and intelligence. After Amelia’s father dies, leaving his previously unknown fortune to her instead of her 5 brothers who have gone on to lead their own lives, Amelia decides to travel. She hires a companion because it’s not appropriate for a single woman to travel alone. In Rome this companion becomes ill and returns to England. Amelia then meets and hires Evelyn Barton-Forbes to travel with her to Egypt. Unsurprisingly the two women become close friends who seem to balance out each others characteristics.

Once in Egypt, the women set off on their travels and adventures and meet up along the way with the Emerson brothers (Radcliffe and Walter) who are archeologists battling to explore and preserve history while also battling roaming mummies and various other mysteries and complications.

I enjoyed this series and went ahead and picked up the next 2 books on cd from the library and already have them in my itunes library so I can listen on my ipod. I'll be alternating this series with the Agatha Raisin series for a while for my in-car listening.

7 comments:

Tristi Pinkston 3/06/2007 1:30 AM  

Oh, man, this is the best, best, best series. You will love it, I promise. There are several volumes that cover Amelia's next, oh, twenty years, I'd say, and I'm only about halfway through but I'm enjoying every minute of them.

Les 3/06/2007 6:12 AM  

I've heard great things about this series, too. Haven't read any of the books yet, however. I may start with the first in audio since I can't find the book at my library.

Booklogged 3/06/2007 2:30 PM  

I enjoy this series, too. I get a kick out of Amelia and Emerson's relationship.

Bookfool 3/06/2007 5:53 PM  

Ditto what Les said about hearing it's great. I think I actually used to have a copy of this one before I went through my anti-mystery phase (which hasn't entirely abated - tried to read a cozy, the other day, and failed).

SuziQoregon 3/06/2007 7:54 PM  

Tristi: thanks for stopping by - and for the vote to continue with the series.

Les: I enjoyed the audio version - it was good for listening to in small doses while driving around town.

Booklogged: Your posts about this series is one of the things that convinced me to start :-)

Bookfool: I'd definitely classify at least this first one as a light mystery. I liked the context of being in on the beginnings of modern archeology too.

Heather,  3/10/2007 12:46 PM  

I don't know why I don't ever listen to books on audio!! This is the first in that series and I was so bummed when I couldn't find it in the library. Maybe they have it on audio!!!

SuziQoregon 3/10/2007 4:26 PM  

Heather - I hope your library has it on audio - it's an enjoyable listen.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP