THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook - Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters

>> Thursday, August 23, 2007

Published: 1986
Genre: Mystery
Book on CD read by Susan O’Malley

From the book cover:
The 1895-96 season promises to be an exceptional one for Amelia Peabody, her dashing Egyptologist husband Emerson, and their wild and precocious eight-year-old son Ramses. The much-coveted burial chamber of the Black Pyramid in Dahshoor is theirs for the digging. But there is a great evil in the wind that roils the hot sands sweeping through the bustling streets and marketplace of Cairo. The brazen moonlight abduction of Ramses -- and an expedition subsequently cursed by misfortune and death -- have alerted Amelia to the likely presence of her arch nemesis the Master Criminal, notorious looter of the living and the dead. But it is far more than ill-gotten riches that motivates the evil genius this time around. For now the most valuable and elusive prized of all is nearly in his grasp: the meddling lady archaeologist who has sworn to deliver him to justice . . . Amelia Peabody!


This is the 4th book in the Amelia Peabody series and I continue to find them enjoyable driving around town listening. The touches of humor with Amelia’s sarcasm and overblown self confidence along with the barest hint of mystery are just the right thing for small doses of listening in the car.

6 comments:

Nyssaneala 8/24/2007 6:54 AM  

I think I will start reading the Amelia Peabody books after I catch up with Sue Grafton's Alphabet series. They sound like a fun read!

Booklogged 8/24/2007 10:12 AM  

It's been a while since I've read or listened to an Amelia Peabody mystery. I've really enjoyed them, too.

SuziQoregon 8/24/2007 6:42 PM  

Nyssaneala: I haven't 'read' any of them, but I've enjoyed them as audio books.

Booklogged: You're one of the people who got me started on this series. You read a couple for the From the Stacks Challenge, and your comments got me interested.

Marg 8/24/2007 9:39 PM  

I have listened to one of these on audiobook, but I don't think it was this same narrator. The one I listened to was so amazing - even after reading 6 or 7 more book in the series I can still 'hear' her characterisations in my head as I read!

SuziQoregon 8/26/2007 9:39 AM  

Marg: at my library (where I get all my audiobooks) the cassette version is read by Barbara Rosenblat (one of my all time favorite readers). The CD version which I listened to, is from another company and is read by Susan O'Malley. I'm sure Barbara Rosenblat does a fabulous reading (she always does), but I needed the CD version for my ipod. I like Susan O'Malley's reading of the series, so I've stuck with the CDs.

Jen, Scotland,  9/23/2007 9:40 AM  

Hiya, Just trying to persuade my mum that she would enjoy blogging by demonstrating all the people she could share Amelia Peabody with (apart from me). I love Barbara Rosenblatt's readings. I think she really catches Amelia's tone. I prefer the earlier books with Ramses as a small boy, but they are all wonderful (and without giving anything away, the Sethos plot is fabulous).

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP