THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

R.I.P II

>> Sunday, August 26, 2007


Last fall when Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings hosted the inaugural R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Autumn Reading Challenge I couldn’t participate because I was all wrapped up in the last part of my own A-Z adventure. Nevertheless I spent the next couple of months reading many reviews of books that sounded interesting and adding them to my TBR list. I’ve been marking books as possibilities in hopes that Carl would make this an annual event. It’s HERE! [insert happydancing]

R.I.P. II is a September 1st through October 31st celebration of all tales gothic, eerie, creepy, and dark. Tales that one reads in the dark of night, experiencing delicious shivers of terror and suspense at each creak of the floorboards or each gust of wind. As in previous challenges the definition for what type of books fit into this category will be very broad. I would venture to say that there is something for everyone that could count as a R.I.P. book.

Carl has made this challenge quite flexible with several options for participants. I’m choosing to take on “Peril the First” which is to read four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.

Books I’ve selected for this challenge:
·
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (I’ve had this for months, but have been saving it for this challenge)
·
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (I saw a movie version of this on TV years ago, but have never read the book)
·
Five Mile House by Karen Novak (I found this one while browsing in the library one day, and have been waiting to read it)
·
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (I’d never heard of this book until I started seeing reviews during last year’s RIP challenge)

Thanks to Carl for hosting this one again this year!

11 comments:

Framed 8/26/2007 5:20 PM  

I first learned about Wilkie Collins during the RIP challenge last year. So I read Moonstone for the Classics challenge and loved it so much, I couldn't wait for this year's RIP so I could read Woman in White. Not sure why I need a challenge to read a book, but there you have it. It will be fun to compare reviews on Womand and Thirteenth Tale.

Eva 8/26/2007 7:27 PM  

I'm reading the Bradbury as well! Seems like there's quite a contingent of us-it'll be super fun to compare notes. :) (here via A Garden Carried in a Pocket, first visit)

Chris 8/27/2007 2:01 PM  

I'm beginning to think that I should have The Woman in White on my list! Everyone's reading it! I also have Bradbury and Setterfield on my list...those seem to be popular as well. Great to meet you :)

SuziQoregon 8/27/2007 7:09 PM  

Framed: I need to get Moonstone on my TBR list too. Maybe for a future Classics challenge.

Eva: Thanks for stopping by - I've added you to my google reader subscriptions - looking forward to comparing notes.

Chris: Thanks for stopping by - I've also added you to my subscriptions. I'd never heard of Wilkie Collins till I started reading posts about last years RIO challenge. I think there's lots of folks reading those three this year - will be fun to compare thoughts.

Booklogged 8/27/2007 8:39 PM  

Gee, I read Woman in White earlier this year for the classics challenge, so I should really read Moonstone for the RIP challenge. Why didn't I think of that?!

Cath 8/29/2007 3:05 PM  

That's an interesting list. I've read The Woman in White and loved it. Of the other three I've been tempted by The Thirteenth Tale lots of times but not yet bought it. So, I'll really want to know if that's good! Will be interested to read your reviews of all of these.

SuziQoregon 8/29/2007 7:28 PM  

Cath: great to meet you! Glad to hear another positive comment about The Woman in White - I'm really looking forward to it.

SuziQoregon 8/29/2007 7:36 PM  

Booklogged - oops! missed you - I don't know anything about Moonstone, but from what I'm hearing, maybe I need to add that one to the TBR list too.

jenclair 8/31/2007 2:51 PM  

I enjoyed Something Wicked, but loved The Woman in White, which I re-read for the challenge last year. This year, I'm re-reading The Moonstone by Collins. The Thirteenth Tale seems to provoke either love or hate...I loved it.

Bellezza 9/01/2007 6:45 PM  

I adored Woman In White, which I read in the early 90's, and in fact would love to pick up again. I'm joining you with Something Wicked This Way Comes which I bought today at Barnes and Noble. Did you know it was on our local High School's recommended reading list? They qualify for RIP II as well!

SuziQoregon 9/02/2007 6:44 PM  

Jenclair: I think you're right - folks either really enjoy or just don't care for The Thirteenth Tale at all. I purposely waited till the hype and the 'everyone seems to be reading it at once' phase.

Bookfool: I've just barely started Something Wicked - (it was in the YA section at the library). So far I'm liking it. I kind of need some time to just sit and envelop myself in it - maybe tomorrow?

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP