THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Non-Fiction Five Challenge Wrap Up

>> Tuesday, September 25, 2007


Okay - for some of us it was the Non-Fiction Nine . . .

The Non-Fiction Five Challenge sponsored by my friend Joy was one that I wasn’t sure about, but finally decided to make a list and join. The goal was to to read five Non-Fiction books in five months (May through September). When I started looking for five books to read for this challenge, I ended up listing at least 11 that I wanted to read. I broke that list down to five that I would read and an additional five potential bonus reads.

I kind of overachieved on this one and ended up reading 9 of my original list of 11.

My completed challenge books are:
The Original Five -
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
The Colony by John Tayman
Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural by Ronald C. White
Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs and David Roberts

Bonus Reads -
Refuge Denied: The St. Louis Passengers and the Holocaust by Sarah Olgivie and Scott Miller
Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado
The Lost Painting: The Quest for a Caravaggio Masterpiece by Jonathan Harr
The Lives and Loves of Daisy and Violet Hilton: A True Story of Conjoined Twins by Dean Jensen


The best book: Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado

What book could I have done without? No Shortcuts to the Top was the biggest disappointment.

Any new authors? All but Edmund Morris were new authors for me.

Books I did not finish: I finished reading all that I started, but No Shortcuts to the Top was almost a DNF.

What did I learn? The books were on such a variety of subjects that I learned a lot along the way. The biographies of Teddy Roosevelt and the Hilton Twins were both biographies but such very different subjects that it didn’t feel like they were the same genre. Two of the books were very much about the research process as part of the story (Refuge Denied and The Lost Painting). Lansing’s story of the Shackleton expedition was a story I hadn’t encountered before. Although the book wasn’t fabulous, it did make me want to learn more about this expedition.

All in all, I enjoyed the majority of the books I read for this challenge. Thanks to my friend, Joy for inspiring me to read these.

9 comments:

twiga92 9/26/2007 4:06 AM  

My hubby is watching some DVDs right now about the Shackleton expedition. I think they showed it on A&E and now it's on DVD. Pretty interesting story.

Joy 9/26/2007 4:34 AM  

Wow! Excellent job on the challenge, Suzi! :) Too bad it didn't end on a better note. Thanks for participating with me/us.

jenclair 9/26/2007 9:20 AM  

I agree that it is a shame to have ended on a bad note, but what an interesting assortment of titles you went through!

SuziQoregon 9/26/2007 7:29 PM  

Twiga: I need to check my library video collection - I know they had several about Shackleton.

Joy: Thanks again - I had a blast!

Jenclair:Yeah the last one was a disappointment, but overall the list as a whole was interesting and varied reading.

Debi,  9/27/2007 9:29 AM  

Oh sure...just rub it in! LOL I'm still trying desperately to finish up my last selection for the challenge. Sounds like you really did read a nice varied selection!

Bookfool 9/28/2007 7:51 PM  

Congratulations! You're a challenge queen; you always do so well.

SuziQoregon 9/28/2007 8:56 PM  

Debi: Hope you finished your last one!

Bookfool: First of all, I was surprised at how many I found that I wanted to read for this, and secondly, that I read 9 of them was a shock!

Les 9/29/2007 6:54 PM  

Good job! I had a huge list, too, but only managed to get the required five read. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge, though. I love memoirs and essays, so this was right up my alley. I'm sure I'll get to the rest before too long.

SuziQoregon 9/30/2007 10:12 AM  

Les: I think I just got so interested in all the books once I listed them for the challenge, that I just didn't want to wait to read them.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP