THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

>> Thursday, September 27, 2007

Published: 2001
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 350
Challenges: Medical Mystery Madness Challenge #4, Unread Authors Challenge #1

Dr. Catherine Cordell is a trauma surgeon working in Boston. She moved there two years ago to restart her life after she became the final attempted victim of a horrific serial killer in Savannah, Georgia. She managed to kill him before he killed her.

Detective Thomas Moore is still mourning his wife’s death from a brain aneurism two years ago. His nickname at work is “Saint Thomas Moore” because he’s always the good guy.

Detective Jane Rizzoli is an all business cop who struggles with the fact that her family doesn’t see her job as important because she’s ‘just a girl’. She’s also battling the ‘just a girl’ label at work, where she’s the only female detective in the homicide division.

These three people’s lives become entwined when a brutal serial killer begins killing women in Boston. The crimes are eerily like those of the killer who nearly made Dr. Cordell one of his victims. As Moore and Rizzoli investigate, they soon discover that the criminal they’re looking for seems to have a connection to and may in fact be stalking Dr. Cordell.

This was my first book by Tess Gerritsen and it will definitely not be my last. I thoroughly enjoyed this combination of police procedural, medical procedural and thriller. The twists and turns were sometimes predictable and sometimes surprising. The characters are interesting and intelligent. This one grabbed my attention right from the start and was hard to put down.

It was exactly what I needed because I felt like I’d been slogging through my last few books.

11 comments:

Kay 9/27/2007 8:16 PM  

I really enjoyed this book too. There are several more that Jane Rizzoli plays a part in. You might want to check out stopyourekillingme.com which will have the correct order of these fun Tess Gerritsen books.

Literary Feline 9/27/2007 10:16 PM  

I am looking forward to reading this one by Gerritsen. I recently read my second book by her, Life Support, and really enjoyed it.

twiga92 9/28/2007 4:14 AM  

Yeah, I love Tess Gerritsen's stuff. Some of it was a bit graphic but definitely suspenseful. I really liked Harvest and Vanish by her.

Joy 9/28/2007 4:38 AM  

I can only remember reading two by Gerritsen (this being one of them) and thought they were very good. Glad you liked it, too! It's always fun to find new authors (that we really like), isn't it? :)

Amy 9/28/2007 5:35 AM  

You said pretty much what I thought too. It was a really good book. Some surprises, some not but kept me interested all the way!

ML 9/28/2007 8:42 AM  

This sounds like a great book - suspense, thriller that you don't want to put down.

Thanks for the review. I'm adding this on my TBR!

Bookfool 9/28/2007 7:52 PM  

I read two or three of her books and decided I'm too faint of heart for Tess Gerritsen. She's a fabulous writer, though, IMHO. If I ever get a stronger stomach, I'll go back to reading her books.

SuziQoregon 9/28/2007 9:02 PM  

Kay: I have the list, but thanks for the link!

Literary Feline: I think I'm going to go back an earlier one of hers that's not part of the Jane Rizzoli series (Harvest) next.

Twiga: Glad to hear Harvest was good - I think that'll be my next Gerritsen book.

Joy: yes it is - especially when they've already got books out there rather than having to wait for the next one to be written.

Amy: Great minds think alike :-)

Ml: hope you like it.

Bookfool: I probably would have recommended that this one wasn't Bookfool-Friendly.

Les 9/29/2007 6:55 PM  

I've never read Gerritsen, but this sounds like something I'd enjoy. Yet another to add to the TBR list. ;)

SuziQoregon 9/30/2007 10:05 AM  

Les: Hope you like it - I did!

Anonymous,  7/16/2008 12:32 AM  

Have just finished this great book. What a thriller! Have read three of her books and this one was the best so far. Kept me reading through the night and next day. Couldn't put it down.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP