THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook - Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich

>> Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Genre: Light humorous mystery
Published 2004
Book on CD read by CJ Critt

I tend to prefer light and fun books for driving around town audiobooks and this one was perfect for that. Having read all of the Stephanie Plum series I decided it was time to try out another Evanovich series. As I expected it was similar to, but not quite the Stephanie Plum series.

In this one, Alexandra Barnaby (known as Barney) is a gearhead who spent her summers and after school time working in her father's garage. After getting an engineering degree but then getting out of the car business, she's now in a dead end job at an insurance company in her home town of Baltimore.

A late night phone call from her brother in Florida changes all that. When her brother "Wild Bill" disappears with NASCAR driver Sam Hooker's boat, Barney heads to Florida. The usual Evanovich hijinks ensue. Crazy charactersabound. Some of them have parallels in the Plum series, as well as some new ones. Barney's foil and eventual love interest, "NASCAR Guy" Hooker is an annoying, yet likable partner in adventure for Barney. Vehicles explode, bad guys have bad accents, and it's all predictable and fun. Emphasis on the fun.

For commute time listening it was an enjoyable audiobook. If you're looking for depth, pick something else.

6 comments:

Tammy,  10/11/2007 11:28 AM  

Sounds great!

I've never read any of the Stephanie Plum's so I would not know the difference.

If I still had the workday commute I would definitely want to listen to this...as it is I will maybe just read it...

Have a great day!

J. Kaye 10/13/2007 1:24 PM  

"I tend to prefer light and fun books for driving around town audiobooks..."

I'll second that!

Bookfool 10/17/2007 6:48 AM  

I can't listen to audiobooks in the car because it's not far enough to anywhere! I'm sure Evanovich is fun to listen too. I didn't care for Metro Girl at all. I can't remember why.

SuziQoregon 10/18/2007 7:58 AM  

T*mmy: I'm not sure I'd like it to read, but it was enjoyable to listen to in small doses in the car.

J. Kaye: Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I usually only listen in 10 to 15 minute increments so trying to get through something heavy, dark, or deep that way just doesn't work.

Bookfool: I know a lot of folks didn't like this one, but for me, as a car book, it was fine.

Bellezza 10/22/2007 1:53 PM  

My sister-in-law, and mother-in-law, have read all seven (I think?) of Stephanie's books. I've only read one, but she is a fun read! They recommend working through the whole series, and they both think the grandmother is the best character. I don't remember reading about a grandmother, but anyway...

SuziQoregon 10/23/2007 8:56 PM  

Bellezza: Grandma Mazur is my favorite character in a couple of the Stephanie Plum books.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP