THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Forbidden Fruit by Erica Spindler

>> Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Published: 1996
Genre: Romantic suspense fiction
Pages: 504
Challenge:
TBR Challenge #10, Unread Authors Challenge #2

This was my first book by Erica Spindler and at the halfway point, I still hadn’t decided whether I liked it or not. This book hard to categorize. It’s the first venture into suspense writing by a former romance novelist. Part of it was a romance, with a large dose of privileged high school girl and boy from the wrong side of the tracks story. Another part of it was a multi-generational story of women descended from a New Orleans madam and included a mother who could make Joan Crawford seem like June Cleaver. Yet another part was a suspense story of a detective hunting for a serial killer who may or may not also be the killer of the detective’s mother.

Lily Pierron is a former New Orleans area madam who is estranged from her daughter and doesn’t know her granddaughter at all.

Hope Pierron St. Germaine left her mother’s home to build a new life where no one knew of her mother or her past. She’s now a wealthy member of New Orleans society who keeps her past a secret and obsessively battles her own inner demons and what she feels is a ‘darkness’ that is the destiny of all the women in her family .

Glory St. Germaine has no knowledge of her mother’s past and has never even met her grandmother. A child of privilege she leads a life of luxury, but is obsessively controlled and punished by her mother for reasons she doesn’t understand.

Victor Santos is a kid from the wrong side of the tracks who has to make his own way after the brutal murder of his mother. He has connections to all of the Pierron women and ultimately hopes to bring his mother’s murderer to justice.

It’s a somewhat disjointed novel, parts of which are better than others. I wasn’t too thrilled with the high school romance section of the book, but the rest of it did hold my interest and kept me entertained. It wasn’t a top book of the year for me, but it was a decent start for a new- to-me author, and I’ve heard good things about some of her later books, so will likely read more of her books.

7 comments:

Booklogged 10/09/2007 9:33 PM  

Love the cover! Think I'll pass on the book, though. I didn't care for all the teenage love angst in Twilight and I certainly don't need any from another source. Thanks for sharing an honest review, SuzieQ.

Joy 10/10/2007 4:59 AM  

You just confirmed my suspicions about this author. I don't think she's for me. Thanks.

SuziQoregon 10/10/2007 6:46 PM  

Booklogged: I haven't read Twilight, but it sounds like I can go ahead and skip that one :-)

Joy: Stick with Crossroad Blues instead of this one - you'll be much happier with your choice.

Bookfool 10/17/2007 6:49 AM  

I've meet Erica Spindler (she's very nice) but have yet to read any of her books because of the Bookfool Mystery/Suspense/Bad Nightmare Angst Thing. Was it creepy enough to avoid?

SuziQoregon 10/18/2007 7:55 AM  

Bookfool: It's really not a disturbing kind of thing - other than a mother who makes Joan Crawford look like June Cleaver. The murder mystery is really a minor part of the book. There's more romance than mystery and suspense in this on. It's one that was ok, but not something I'd go around encouraging folks to read.

Bookfool 10/18/2007 4:41 PM  

Okay, good, thanks. I feel kind of good about skipping her books, then. :)

justme 11/28/2008 5:40 PM  

I do not read much. I only read if I think a book is worth reading. I am not into love stories and all that BS... Haven't read twilight. Didn't apeal to me.

This book is NOTHING like you would expect. I just started reading it yesturday and can't put it down. I have never been like that with any book before.

It's very good so far.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP