THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

A Trouble of Fools by Linda Barnes

>> Friday, November 9, 2007

Published: 1987
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 203
Challenge:
Unread Authors Challenge #3

Carlotta Carlyle is a 6’ 1” tall redheaded former Boston cabdriver and ex-cop turned private investigator. Business has been slow, so when the elderly Margaret Devens shows up wanting someone to find her missing brother, Carlotta decides to take the case. When two thugs beat up Margaret and Carlotta finds out there’s a hidden pile of cash involved, it’s clear that this isn’t a run of the mill missing persons case.

It’s not that I’m scared. I can take care of myself. I grew up in Detroit and compared to the kids of the Motor City, most of the punks around here don’t know what tough means. I’m not scared of the streets. Maybe I’m afraid of the great I-Told-You-So. You know how it goes: “Gee, Carlotta, none of this would have happened if you’d had the sense to stay indoors.”
Carlotta is a fun character and I look forward to reading more of this series. This first book introduces us to characters from both of Carlotta’s former jobs – the cab company and the Boston police. There’s also a bit of a side story involving a young girl that Carlotta mentors through the “Big Brothers/Big Sisters” organization. It’s a quick and fun read.

9 comments:

Pam 11/09/2007 7:55 PM  

I haven't read a Linda Barnes in awhile. I think I'll try to find this one.

SuziQoregon 11/09/2007 7:56 PM  

Pam: this was the first one in the series and I really enjoyed it.

J. Kaye 11/10/2007 9:47 AM  

I see you are reading Lee Child's book. I look forward to reading that review! I'm a fan. :)

Literary Feline 11/10/2007 10:21 AM  

I have this among my series books I need to try. :-) I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!

Vickie 11/11/2007 5:58 PM  

Suzi: Linda Barnes was one of the first mystery writers back in the day. I like the whole series. My favorite character is her dispatcher friend. And then there's Sam....yum.

H.A. Page 11/12/2007 7:56 AM  

Glad to discover your blog. I'm off to do a book club review plan w/ my co-reviewer for my new book club meeting tomorrow. I didn't have a book club in NYC and am glad to have found one so quickly in Santa Fe. I've always had one every where I've moved as books are one of my passions.

The book is Dreaming in Cuban -- and I'm bringing in magical realism, one of my favorite genres.

Framed 11/13/2007 1:42 PM  

I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds like my type: strong female character with humor.

Vickie 11/14/2007 10:12 AM  

Suzi: I just re-read my post from the other day. Linda Barnes is not one of the first mystery writers back in the day....I meant to say that she was one of the first mystery writers I enjoyed and got me hooked on the strong female sleuth characters.
-V-

SuziQoregon 11/14/2007 11:29 AM  

J.Kaye: I'm loving the Lee Child book. Jack Reacher is a great character.

Literary Feline: It's slightly dated (1987 so she uses pay phones instead of a cell) but it's not enough to be distracting. I really liked this first one and plan to read more.

Vickie: I think you were one of the folks who recommended this series to me.

H.A Page: thanks for stopping by!

Framed: I think you'd like it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP