THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Booked to Die by John Dunning

>> Monday, December 17, 2007

Published: 1992
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 321

I have a new series to read and it’s all Booklogged’s fault!!


In the past few months, she has read several of this series and with each review it became more and more of a priority for me to read this first one and get started.

From the inside flap:

Denver cop Cliff Janeway probably knows as much about books as he does about homicide. His living room resembles an adjunct to the public library. He's aware that a first edition of a Stephen King can bring as much as a first edition of Mark Twain and that a copy of Raymond Chandler's Lady in the Lake is worth close to $1,000. And he realizes that, contrary to popular belief, "older" doesn't necessarily mean "more valuable."

He also knows that valuable volumes can be hidden in plain view among otherwise ordinary book collections. It's not easy to find such books, but some people seem to have an extraordinary almost superhuman, talent for honing in on the treasures.

Such a man was bookscout Bobby Westfall. Bobby never made a bundle, but he'd once earned $900 in a single weekend and had generally spotted enough valuable books to keep himself and his beloved cats fed and housed. Now Bobby is dead, murdered at the witching hour on Friday the thirteenth, his body dumped under a
ladder in a dark alley. It's not a good end for a superstitious man.

Janeway is sure he knows who did it: flashy businessman Jackie Newton, who is known to have a pathological hatred for drifters. He's suspected of a string of killings in New Jersey and California, but nobody's been able to win a conviction. Janeway came close, but then the star witness got scared. Now Janeway hopes he'll have another chance at a man whose destruction has become his personal goal.

But Janeway's in for some surprises before he finds the proof he needs -- surprises that will affect his professional and personal life in profound and shocking ways.
I liked the Janeway character a lot and the other characters and mystery were interesting and well written. The inside information and stories of bookscouts and book dealers was thoroughly enjoyable. I look forward to continuing with this series.

Thanks Booklogged!! You definitely steered me in the right direction with this one.

7 comments:

Bookfool 12/18/2007 11:45 AM  

Ooooh, that sounds fun. But, I'm going to shoot for reading only books on the TBRs (it's okay if some arrive from Paperback Swap, of course), in 2008. Wish me luck. :)

Vickie 12/18/2007 6:47 PM  

This is such a good series! I found this and the second in the series in a used bookstore in Lompoc CA when stationed at VandenbergAFB. I hoped I would be destined to live in Denver one day and I am. There is such a place as depicted in the book.

Joy 12/19/2007 4:28 AM  

Another series I've had on my TBR list that hasn't made it into my hands. :( It certainly is great to read another positive endorsement. :)

SuziQoregon 12/19/2007 8:01 AM  

Bookfool Oh - I could never do that - I learned from overbooking my challenges this past year that I have to leave room for those books that just have to be read sooner rather than later.

Vickie: I'd read somewhere that a lot of the places are familiar to Denverites.

Joy: I think you'd like this one - Hope you get a chance to read it soon.

Vickie 12/20/2007 11:01 AM  

Joy: I concur with SuziQ. You would enjoy this series.

Callista 12/27/2007 8:01 PM  

I've been reading this series too. I loved Booked to Die and loved The Bookman's Wake even more! I think it was booklogged that got me into them too. I've recently posted my reviews of these two books.

SuziQoregon 12/28/2007 3:31 PM  

Callista: good to know the others in the series are good too. I'm not sure when I'll get to the next one, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP