THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Aunt Dimity’s Good Deed by Nancy Atherton

>> Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Series: # 3 in the Aunt Dimity Series
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publication Date: 1996
Pages: 276
Challenges: A-Z Reading #5 (A Title), TBR 2008 Alternate #1

After finishing Doctor Zhivago, I was having a bit of a reading hangover. Doctor Zhivago was still percolating in my brain so I needed something light, fun, short and completely different. This was the perfect time for me to pick up the next book in Nancy Atherton’s Aunt Dimity series. I’d enjoyed the first book in the series, but had been disappointed in the second which was an odd out of sequence prequel that didn’t even have the main character from the first book. This third one is back to what I expected. Lori Shepherd is back and so is the charming and ever so dead Aunt Dimity.

Lori Shepherd’s young marriage may be in trouble – her husband is a workaholic and when she schedules a visit to her English cottage as a second honeymoon, he bails at the last minute for work. Lori still makes the trip to England, but instead of her husband, her traveling companion is her Father-in-Law. Trying to make the best of the situation Lori enjoys spending time with her neighbors whom she adores. That is, until her Father-in-Law disappears leaving only a cryptic note.

Soon, Lori is off in search of Mr. Willis with her neighbors’ 12 year old daughter Nell as a traveling companion. Nell is a fun character – she’s 12 going on 28. At times she’s more sophisticated and worldly than Lori, but at other times very much a 12 year old. She and Lori are kindred spirits and Nell’s stuffed bear Bertie is a good match for Lori’s long loved flannel rabbit, Reginald. It turns into not only a search for Mr. Willis, but also a search for the answer to and possible resolution of a three hundred year old family feud.

This is a light enjoyable cozy series with some charming characters and a friendly ‘ghost’ in Aunt Dimity, who communicates with Lori via writing that appears in her blank journal. Don’t look for anything logical in that premise, just enjoy the fun.

10 comments:

Kay 1/22/2008 11:56 PM  

This is one of my favorite series. Yes, book 2 is rather odd but it is the story of people who will be important to Lori from then on. I think these stories are "just right" sometimes.

judypatooote 1/23/2008 3:49 AM  

I'm so glad I found your sight. I love books and just posted about the Glass Castle....I am going to put you on my favorites so I can come back and find some more books to read.....thanks, judy

Karen :) 1/23/2008 8:42 AM  

This sounds cute! May have to check it out!

SuziQoregon 1/23/2008 7:38 PM  

Kay: definitely one of those series I'll be picking up in between heavier or darker books for a change of pace and mood.

Judy: Welcome - thanks for stopping by - visit often.

Karen: Start with the first one - Aunt Dimity's Death - you'll enjoy it.

Scrappy Kay 1/24/2008 12:08 PM  

Add me to the list of folks to plan to read Aunt Dimity! Great review, Suzi!

Bookfool 1/25/2008 10:18 AM  

Oh, hmm, sounds like this one would pass the Bookfool test for nightmare avoidance, yes?

SuziQoregon 1/25/2008 6:36 PM  

Scrappy Kay - it's just light and quite charming.

Bookfool - no nightmares :-) Definitely passes "The Bookfool Test" ;-)

Framed 1/26/2008 8:27 AM  

I'm always on the lookout for some fun reading. This one fits the bill.

Julie 1/26/2008 3:14 PM  

Thanks for reviewing this one... I think my mom and I would both like it, and I am always on the look-out for good reads for Mom. :)

SuziQoregon 1/26/2008 3:27 PM  

Framed: light, fun, charming - good for when you need that kind of book for a break.

Julie: thanks for stopping by - I hope you and your Mom enjoy it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP