THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Faithless by Karin Slaughter

>> Monday, January 7, 2008

Series: # 5 in the Grant County Series
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Publication Date: 2005
Pages: 549
Challenges:
Themed Reading Challenge #1, TBR 2008 #1, Chunkster Challenge 2008 #1, A-Z Reading #2 (F Title)

In this fifth book in Slaughter’s Grant County series, Pediatrician/ medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver continue their teamwork in investigating brutal crimes in small town Georgia.

This one opens with the discovery of the body of a young woman. She’d been buried alive in a coffinlike box in the woods and then killed in a horrible manner. Jeffrey and Sara set out to find out who killed her and why. The story is just a little bit less gruesome than some of Slaughter’s earlier books (something I was happy to see), but that doesn’t mean it’s not a brutal and tension filled thriller. The story involves a farm collective/ religious group run by the family of the young victim and the typical complex small town connections between the regular characters of the series and those introduced in this book.

The storyline with series regular Lena, continues to be my least favorite part. I know she’s not written to be likeable, but I continue to think that her back and side stories are the weakest part of this series.

Once again, Karin Slaughter has written a mystery/ thriller that kept me turning the pages as the story built to its conclusion despite the cringeworthy aspects of the story. Not for the faint of heart, but an excellent series, nonetheless.

11 comments:

Joy 1/08/2008 5:09 AM  

*deep sigh* I only read the first one and don't even have the second planned. :( I do want to get back to her.

AND...I see you are getting further along with Atkins. I almost went with him for "color" in What's in a Name? Challenge, but decided on Lippman.

Nicola 1/08/2008 6:39 AM  

I love Karin Slaughter! I will be reading Indelible (#4) soon.

SuziQoregon 1/08/2008 7:10 PM  

Joy: I'm loving the second Atkins too!!!

Nicola: Indelible was good too !! Enjoy

Vickie 1/09/2008 7:01 AM  

I have a couple of her books for my different challenges. TRIPTYCH is one and I have KISSCUT in there somewhere. Trying to read this series in order. Good to know she is consistently good.

Amy 1/10/2008 7:54 AM  

I enjoyed this book as well, Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite authors.

SuziQoregon 1/10/2008 8:37 PM  

Amy: I've enjoyed all of them so far and I'm looking forward to the next one.

SuziQoregon 1/10/2008 8:39 PM  

Vickie: Oops missed you. I know you're not as into reading series in order as I am, there are some ongoing backstories that progress through the series.

alisonwonderland 1/11/2008 8:36 AM  

i really enjoy this series. i've had Beyond Reach - the 6th book - on my to-read shelf for a while now but i haven't gotten to it yet. maybe i should have included it on my series challenge list - but there are so many series that i want to get caught up with!

SuziQoregon 1/11/2008 7:06 PM  

Alison - I'm the same way with series - I have so many I need to read 'the next book' in. I tried to put some of them on my list for the TBR challenge this year.

Framed 1/12/2008 3:19 PM  

This sounds like a series I need to start. I like a good thriller.

SuziQoregon 1/14/2008 7:28 PM  

Framed - fair warning - they're quite brutal and gruesome, but good.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP