THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

>> Monday, June 9, 2008

Genre: Humor
Publication Date: 1925 (this edition 1999)
Pages: 245
Challenges:
Initials Challenge #3

This was my second Wodehouse book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a collection of stories about Bertie Wooster a wealthy, not-to-bright, but completely likeable fellow and his valet Jeeves.

Among the stories in this collection are one about Bertie’s first introduction to Jeeves and another that is the first one I’ve read that is told from Jeeves’ viewpoint. Most of the stories involve Bertie or one of his friends getting caught in a dilemma. Jeeves usually has a plan that inevitably has unintended consequences. Somehow (usually due to further intervention from Jeeves) everything manages to work out.

I love how the humor written over 80 years ago is still light enjoyable reading that can make me giggle.

12 comments:

tinylittlelibrarian 6/10/2008 8:13 PM  

I LOOOOOOOVE PG Wodehouse!!! :) Whenever anyone asks at the library for a funny book, I recommend him. (Or Carl Hiaasen, depending on the person!)

joanna 6/12/2008 1:48 AM  

I've been wanting to read one of these but my library only has a really thick one volume collection so I haven't yet... I could use a funny book though!

SuziQoregon 6/12/2008 9:05 AM  

Tiny: I need to read some Hiaasen.

Joanna: That's too bad your library only has teh combined edition. Any chance of getting the shorter editions through an inter-library loan??

joanna 6/13/2008 12:14 AM  

Umm no - I live in Belgium so am very lucky that the Flemish library has an English section in the first place! :-) I shouldn't really complain, they really do have a fantastic selection!

SuziQoregon 6/13/2008 7:01 AM  

Joanna: Oh that's too bad, but like you said at least they have an English section.

Sherry 6/14/2008 11:28 AM  

Joanna, Wodehouse is worth it. I'd heft the one-volume collection and read it anyway.

Suzi, I, too, am a Wodehouse fan. His stories are all the same in a way, but so much fun that you don't notice until you're done.

Carrie 6/14/2008 12:35 PM  

Wodehouse is one of my "must read at least one a year" authors. Thankfully there is a heap to choose from!

Glad you enjoyed it.

SuziQoregon 6/14/2008 5:22 PM  

Joanna: I agree with Sherry - get the big volume - read a few stories, then return it till you're ready to check it out again ang read a few more.

Sherry: Exactly - you know what's going to happen, but it's still fun.

Carrie: I think your Must Read One a Year plan is a smart one!

Framed 6/15/2008 9:27 AM  

I read my first Jeeves book last summer and laughed out loud. I want to watch the TV sries, heard it was delightful.

SuziQoregon 6/16/2008 7:02 PM  

Framed: and it was your review and the comments on it that got me started reading these - thanks!!

Rachel 9/27/2008 10:24 PM  

PG Wodehouse = Greatness!

SuziQoregon 10/02/2008 8:59 AM  

Rachel: most definitely!! I'm so glad I finally started reading these.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP