THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Pawleys Island by Dorothea Benton Frank

>> Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2005
Pages: 316
Challenges:
TBR 2008 Alternate #4, Southern Reading #2

Dorothea Benton Frank’s books are the perfect summertime reading for me. I seem to pick up one of her books every May or June. Her writing style is like sitting on my porch listening to a friend I haven’t seen in ages telling me telling me about what she’s been up to since we were last together. Luckily our weather finally cooperated and provided some summer to go along with this book.

Abigail Thurmond has been living on Pawleys Island, South Carolina since retiring from her law practice. She spends her time playing golf and helping her best friend Huey with his art gallery. Their lives get a little more interesting when Rebecca Simms arrives in the gallery with some watercolors for Huey to consider. Rebecca is still reeling from a nasty divorce action instigated by her husband of seventeen years. Soon Abigail, Huey and a few other charming characters are helping Rebecca. This is a thoroughly enjoyable story of friends helping friends with a bit of sweet revenge along the way.

This is certainly not great literature, but definitely enjoyable light entertainment. Her books always make me want to start planning a trip to visit Charleston again.

11 comments:

____Maggie 6/25/2008 9:17 PM  

Gurl! You won the pecans! Did you send me your address yet?

mmoran(at)northwestms(dot)edu

SuziQoregon 6/26/2008 7:39 AM  

Maggie - I thought I sent it over the weekend. Just sent it again.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane 6/26/2008 11:59 AM  

Great review! I've read several of her books but I must have missed this one. It sounds good, and like you said, a good summer read. I just got her new one at the library and read it, "Bull's Island". I'll have to double back and look for this one.

P.S. I see you're reading the #3 in Women's Murder Club. I read the first one, then the library seems to have lost the second book from their shelves. I'm wondering how lost I would be to jump from 1 to 3 without having read 2. Silly library. Or patrons who don't return books. :)

____Maggie 6/26/2008 1:34 PM  

I'm sorry I didn't get your e-mail. We have a new client and I think standards are set way too high. Would you just send me your address through hotmail @ magiejpl? Sorry, to keep pesterin' ya! ;D

Bookfool 6/26/2008 8:13 PM  

I've only read one of her books and I didn't like it, but I may need to give her a second chance one day. I love the way you described how you feel about her books. Charleston sounds like a fun place to visit -- haven't ever been there.

SuziQoregon 6/28/2008 7:53 AM  

Stacy: I actually liked this one a little better than the last couple of hers that I'd read. Might be a timing thing. I'd say you'd be OK with going straight to #3 in the Women's Murder Club series. I hate it when library books go missing :-(. You might be able to find a synopsis of #2 on wikipedia if you can't get hold of a copy.

Bookfool - which one did you read that you didn't like? I've read several of hers - some I enjoyed, but a couple of them not so much. I don't expect deep stuff from her books - just light entertainment. I don't watch Lifetime movies, so maybe this is my version of that ;-)

Bookfool 6/30/2008 3:11 PM  

I read Shem Creek. It started out great, but after a time it just bored me to tears. I think I was expecting a little more action. I did like the setting. Is there a particular one you favor?

SuziQoregon 6/30/2008 7:14 PM  

Bookfool: of the ones I've read of hers, that's the one I liked the least! I liked Plantation and Sullivan's Island. Haven't read her more recent stuff.

Bookfool 7/02/2008 5:52 AM  

Thanks! I've heard positive comments about Sullivan's Island, I think. Not sure about Plantation. Maybe I should just try to remember the word "island", since you also enjoyed Pawleys Island.

SuziQoregon 7/04/2008 8:21 PM  

Bookfool: Sullivan's Island was my first book by her and it was good enough to get me to read more ;-)

Mac,  8/05/2008 7:58 AM  

Hi,
Tried to find an email address to contact you regarding a literary book review project I am working on. Mine is "mac@literarytigers.com" If you have a mind to please let me know you email and I will forward the details to you. No Obligation whatsoever but at least you get to see the details.
I am based in London UK and so we are awaiting the Red Bull Flugtag imminently (although we don't always get to see the small planes due to our inclement weather.)
Have a nice day.
Mac

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP