THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Columbia Gorge

>> Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We were up in Trout Lake this past weekend and decided to play tourist on the way home and take a few pictures. This is Mt. Adams from the Trout Lake School - this is currently the staging area for the firefighters battling the Cold Springs fire - which you can see the early stages of here.


The White Salmon River - that's Husum Falls just under the bridge - lots of whitewater rafters out the day we were there.


Mt. Hood from the north side - it's not the view I'm used to from Portland, the mountain always looks not quite right to me when I'm not looking at the west side of it.



If you look close you can see the remains of a very old wooden log flume from back in the height of the logging days. It's hard to see because I had to have the camera on maximum zoom to get the picture.



Always stop at the historical markers (forever known as hysterical markers in my family). You can learn all kinds of interesting things.


For example - that sometimes it gets a bit windy in the Columbia River Gorge.


Just outside of Stevenson, We saw this bald eagle on it's nest. There must be babies or eggs in there because it didn't stay away from the nest for very long.


Beacon Rock. There's a trail to the top and the views of the gorge are amazing on a clear day. I haven't climbed it in years, but maybe this fall if we can get a clear day that's not too warm.


Just a pretty view of the Columbia River and the west end of the gorge.


10 comments:

Les 7/16/2008 4:18 AM  

Great pictures. I still need to put together my album from our trip to Oregon last fall. I love digital cameras and the ability to share them via Ofoto, but I still like to get prints to store in an album for days when I'm in the mood to reminisce.

Melissa 7/16/2008 4:42 AM  

Wow is right!

It amazes me that the entire rest of the country is not flat, and that some people get to see every day what I pay to see maybe once a year or so on vacation!

I must move.

SuziQoregon 7/16/2008 8:57 AM  

Les - you take such wonderful pictures - I'd love to see your albums. When are you coming back to Oregon?

El: you crack me up. It's funny how often we drive through here and begin to take it for granted. It was nice to play tourist this weekend.

Mel: So why don't you come out for a visit? ;-P

Les 7/16/2008 12:35 PM  

I'll send you an Ofoto invite, if you like, Suzi. Just need your email addy, which I might already have.

No plans to get back to Oregon or Washington, at least not for another year. We're going to Tahoe next year for a big family reunion, so we probably won't head up to the PNW 'til 2010. Sigh.

SuziQoregon 7/16/2008 3:03 PM  

Les: thanks! Well, whenever you get out here, we'll have to figure out a way to meet at Powell's Books if you come through Portland :-)

Bookfool 7/16/2008 7:10 PM  

Oooooh, I wanna go there!!!! I love the sign about the weather instruments. And, I'm so jealous of your bald eagle sighting. Cool!

SuziQoregon 7/16/2008 8:26 PM  

Bookfool - come on out for a visit! I was pretty thrilled about the bald eagle sighting myself. We saw the nest on the way up to my Dad's place, but couldn't tell whether it was an osprey or an eagle in there, so we made a point of stopping on the way home to check it out. The eagle got agitated when we got close, but only flew away for a short time before coming back to the nest. That's why we think there must be either eggs or babies in there.

auntie-c 7/17/2008 8:39 PM  

Oh, I love this area! DH and I are planning a trip to take our cameras and dink, dink, dink all through the gorge.

Great pix!

~c



bumila

SuziQoregon 7/18/2008 2:03 PM  

~C - you'll have a great time. If you decide to look for the bald eagle nest - it's on the west end of Stevenson, WA. on the south side of Hwy. 14.

SuziQoregon 7/26/2008 4:38 PM  

Reposting a comment from Eleanor after removing a name

Just WOW.

Wow.

I am so articulate I hurt myself sometimes.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP