THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Them Bones by Carolyn Haines

>> Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Series: #1 in the Sarah Booth Delaney series
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publication Date: 1999
Pages: 318
Challenges:
A-Z Reading #36 (T Title)

This one could also count for the Southern Reading Challenge, but I’m sticking with my original list for that one. I first heard of this series just a week or so ago when
my very favorite Montgomery, Alabama bookstore sent out a notice about a booksigning by the author. I checked into the series and decided to give it a try.

Sarah Booth Delaney is 30 something, unwed, unemployed, about to lose her family home. She’s also hounded by (because that’s a more accurate description than haunted by) the ghost of her great great grandmother’s nanny. The ghost, Jitty, is a hoot. For some reason she’s into lat 60’s and early 70’s fashion. She’s also concerned about Sarah keeping Dahlia House.

From the book cover:


I shouldn’t have listened to that ghost . . .
If only I hadn’t kidnapped the dog . . .
But the ransom paid the mortgage . . .
Now I seem to be a private eye . . .
This is pure light cozy mystery with a fun poke at Southern Society in Zinnia, Mississippi. Sarah is unconventional for a Southern Belle, and I liked her a lot (although she’s a bit obsessed with her womb). The mystery was about a 20 year old possible murder and the cast of characters included some fun quirky folks.

It was light fun and a quick read. I’ll probably read more of the series someday.

5 comments:

Bookfool 7/03/2008 6:01 PM  

Zinnia is probably a fictional name, but it sounds like it could be real. We've been through Hot Coffee, Mississippi. That one always makes me smile. :)

SuziQoregon 7/03/2008 6:04 PM  

Bookfool: Zinnia is definitely fictional, but Hot Coffee sounds like a grear place to visit. We've got Boring, Oregon and Drain, Oregon.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane 7/05/2008 8:24 AM  

Too funny, that she's an author from my home state, writing fictional set in my home state, and I've never heard of her! I'm SO glad you read and reviewed this here (and at GoodReads). My library has all of these, and I'm going to start with the first one, but I have to get on the wait list. I can't wait to read it. Cozy mystery is one of my favorite genres anyway, plus the added bonus of local color :)

Zinnia is definitely fictional. We've got a lot of unusual names besides Hot Coffee though, LOL!

Have a great day and Happy Reading!

Bookfool 7/05/2008 3:56 PM  

Stacy's right. There are quite a few unusual names love in this state. I especially love the name Boring! :)

SuziQoregon 7/06/2008 8:30 AM  

Stacy: I hadn't heard about her till I got the email from the bookstore. If you like cozies you should definitely try this one.

Bookfool: Hi!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP