THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Two years ago. . .

>> Saturday, July 12, 2008

I posted this:

I had decided that it might be interesting to put my notes about my books on a blog. It would be a fun thing for me to have as a record and maybe a link to give to a few friends when they asked if I had any book recommendations.

I wasn’t sure exactly where this book blog was headed, but I’ve certainly had a great time on the journey for the past two years.

I’ve managed to meet so many fellow readers. I was shocked at extent of the book blogging community I found. When I think of all the things that this blog has led me to the list is long. The first and most important is a whole new and expanded circle of reading friends all over the world. By getting to know other readers from their blogs and book reviews I’ve made some connections that extend beyond books and reading.

  • It was fun to make some Oregon Coast restaurant recommendations for Les
  • I had to giggle when seeing a lizard in the Arizona desert made me think of Bookfool
  • Speaking of Bookfool – I will never review a mystery/thriller without thinking whether or not it passes “The Bookfool Test” (good without causing nightmares).
  • Worrying about folks I’ve never met in person – fretting about Wendy as the California fires got closer to her home.
  • I’ve even started an additional blog (The Pirate Bendy blog actually came before this one, but I’ve added Occasional Other Stuff for, well, the occasional other stuff).

But, I shoud get back to books and reading and all the things I wouldn’t have without this blog and the book blogging community.

  • Reading challenges – fun, but I learned the hard way that I must limit participation to allow for sanity and my whimpulse reads.
  • Yahoo book groups – TBR Challenge, A Novel Challenge and Book-A-Week. Many of you are in one or more of those groups along with me. I’m not a big participant who posts a lot in any of them, but I read all your posts and enjoy them.
  • Seeing BBB (before book blogging) friends get their own book blogs started and join in the fun.
  • Recommendations, reviews and comments from so many different people. When that connection is made and I find someone who loves/hates some of the same books I do, it gives their reviews and recommendations that much more weight. It’s so much more meaningful than a random review on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, because it’s a review from someone who I know a little better as a reader by knowing some of their likes and dislikes.

Of course, I should probably mention that there’s also the time I spend not reading my books now because I’m reading all your blogs. That list of blogs that are in my Google feed reader over there on the right is what keeps me busy online nearly every day. If your blog is on that list, I’m reading it. I may not comment a lot, but I’m reading.

If you’re reading this – thanks! I never expected you to be here, but I’m really glad you are. You're a great big bunch of enablers and I love you for it.

As for why I haven’t posted any new review in a while, it’s because I’m about halfway through Queen Victoria: A Personal History. It’s a bit of a chunkster and will take me a while, but it’s interesting and I’m enjoying it.

16 comments:

Wendy 7/12/2008 8:10 AM  

You wrote exactly how I feel about blogging and the challenges and the groups...so many great people I've me and grown to care about (and thank you for your thoughts about me with the fires - I can't tell you how comforting it was to know there was this entire community thinking good thoughts during what was and is an incredibly stressful time). People who don't blog can't seem to understand my obsession with reading blogs - and it has a lot to do with making personal connections. Thanks for a great post!

Mary 7/12/2008 8:23 AM  

Congrats on the 2 year anniversary! Had to laugh at the enabler comment. Ain't it the truth?!!! I've only been at this since January of this year. But, it's due in part to you, Lynne, Joy and Vickie. It has been a wonderful new aspect to my reading life and life in general. Wish we could occasionally meet as a book group. Alas, the miles make it tough.

Anyway, I do check your blog when I see a new post. Don't always comment but I do enjoy your reviews.

Lynne 7/12/2008 8:51 AM  

Happy 2 year blogiversary!

I remember when you first started your blog, then Joy and Vickie followed. I knew then that I wanted to join the club!

Like you, I've met so many new friends through blogs - book blogs and others. It's a great community.

And I agree about getting good book recommendations from people we "know" rather than unknowns on Amazon and such. I've found so many new books - and new genres - since starting my blog.

So thanks to you for making this possible for me!

Nicola 7/12/2008 12:59 PM  

Congrats! Two years. Wow!

I'm really looking forward to your review on the Queen V. bio. I am particularly interested in her and her time period.

I'd love to read a good modern book on her. I read one ages (decades?) ago. You'll have to let me know if this book gets into the John Brown issue much. I love to wonder about those two!

Teddy Rose 7/12/2008 11:01 PM  

Happy 2 year anniversary. As you know, I'm one of your friends and loyal readers! I feel the same way.

We are such enablers to each other, she should all be in 12 step programs LOL! The challenges are getting out of hand for me too! They add fuel to the flames of my book addiction.

Thanks for this wonderful post!

XX

Les 7/13/2008 3:37 PM  

Happy Blogiversary!! I visit your blog several times a week, but life is so busy and I don't always get enough time to comment. But I'm here!

You said: "It was fun to make some Oregon Coast restaurant recommendations for Les." And I thank you!! We found some fabulous restaurants based on your recommendations. Hmmmm, it's been almost a year and I'm getting the itch to go back. :)

It's a wonderful Blogosphere and I'm so glad you're in it. I can't think of Oregon without thinking of SuziQ. :)

SuziQoregon 7/13/2008 4:46 PM  

Wendy: Obsession is a good word. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this, but I'm sure happy with it.

Mary: We do feed each others addictions, don't we. I'm so glad you joined the book blogging community.

Lynne: you're welcome ;-)

Nicola: I'm liking the Queen V. bio so far. It's making me want to read others about her. The 'personal history' part of the title is very true - some of the political things are skimmed a bit, but when you're talking about a reign that long, it's hard to include everything without a multi-volume work. I'll let you know how the John Brown speculation is handled in this one.

TeddyRose: :-) you sweetie. Oh yeah - I can just see our 12 step program - I'm sure the first step would be pick 12 books.

Les: aren't those connections 'beyond the books' fun?

____Maggie 7/13/2008 10:36 PM  

Happy 2 Years and Plenty More! :D

heather (errantdreams) 7/14/2008 10:30 AM  

I agree with so much of what you said---especially about all the nifty people!

And one other effect of all this hanging out on book blogs: I have the never-ending nine-page wish list on Amazon... and that's AFTER paring it down!

SuziQoregon 7/14/2008 6:26 PM  

Maggie: thanks!!

Heather: no kidding - my TBR list grows faster than I can read 'em. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;-)

Vickie 7/14/2008 6:59 PM  

{{HUGS}} to you!! You and Mary were my inspirations to get my blog going and I have had a fab time of it ever since.

Marg 7/15/2008 5:01 AM  

Happy blogiversary! There are plenty of people in blogland who are my enablers too!

Red lady-Bonnie 7/16/2008 7:07 AM  

Congrats!!!I can't believe it's been 2 years as I remember when you started your blog and left us on the booklovers thread, we miss you! I can understand how fun and time consuming this world of blogging can be. I have been following your blog as well as Lynne, Joy, Mary and others and am in awe! I just started my own blog and feel overwhelmed in the learning process but know that I'll figure it out in time! I'll have to look into the google reader also...adding it to the list!

SuziQoregon 7/16/2008 2:52 PM  

Vickie: so glad you joined the blogging fun :-)

Marg: Thanks - and having enablers is not a bad thing when it comes to books.

Bonnie: I'm thrilled to see you started a blog. Take your time with it - you'll gradually learn all kinds of fun things. Google Reader is a fabulous way to keep up with everyone's blog posts on one site - I'd be crazy trying to keep up with everyone without it.

Bookfool 7/16/2008 7:07 PM  

Happy belated blogiversary, Suzi!!!

Is the word "whimpulse" a SuziQism? It made me chuckle.

I feel so honored that you think about whether a mystery passes "The Bookfool Test". Awww, that's just so sweet! And, believe me, I appreciate it when you let me know a book does or doesn't pass. I'm all for nightmare avoidance. But, you knew that. :)

Wishes for many more happy years in the Bloggy World! Wonderful post, btw -- I agree with you on all points. It's a terrific community and the book avalanches are becoming a lot more common with all those enablers suggesting more terrific books.

SuziQoregon 7/16/2008 8:23 PM  

Bookfool: Oh yeah - I made up 'whimpulse', but I think it really ought to be a word.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP