THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Herding Cats Challenge Complete

>> Wednesday, September 17, 2008

342,745 Ways to Herd Cats, or tl;dr was the official name, but that doesn’t really matter. What matters is that I found a great list of recommended books that I find myself referring to over and over again.

The post announcing this challenge was so darn entertaining that I just had to join in. Trust me and just go
here to read it. Besides, I had to have that adorable button on my sidebar.


Renay at Bottle of Shine hosted this challenge in which the reading list to choose from was made up of books submitted by the participants. Everyone had to submit 10 recommendations and read at least 3 books recommended by other participants.

Here are the details:
1. Make a list of ten books you love. That's the only qualification; you had to love (or at least like it) the books on the list.
2. Share the list
3. Browse the lists created by other participants (
Reading lists by participant or Master Reading List)
4. Between May 1st and November 30th read at least 3 books recommended by other participants.
5. Write reviews of the books you read.
6. Share the links to your reviews.

This is the list of books I recommended:

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (I’m actually planning on re-reading this one myself soon)
One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash
Hell at the Breech by Tom Franklin
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I know a bunch of folks have already listed it but I can’t not include it)
Homestead by Rosina Lippi
The Girls by Lori Lansens
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (but only if you read the Richard Pevear Translation)
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
Centennial by James Michener

These are the 3 I chose to read:
Cats Eye by Margaret Atwood (recommended by 3M). This was my second Atwood book and won’t be my last.
A Room With a View by E.M Forster (recommended by Corinne). I really enjoyed this book and the movie too.
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (recommended by Becky). A Science Fiction Classic that I’m very glad I finally read.
What a fun challenge. Thanks Renay!

7 comments:

Renay 9/17/2008 7:15 PM  

I'm really glad you had fun with it. I'm still boggling it became so popular and sort of overwhelmed me—I'm still trying to compile reviews. :D

Yes! I am glad you took part. Thanks for adding your recs to the list!

Renay

Kailana 9/18/2008 4:22 AM  

I really should read more Margaret Atwood. She is a hit or miss author with me, though, so I am never sure what to think! I did like The Handmaid's Tale, though. This was a challenge I considered, but I find that if I make lists I tend to ignore the books on them, so I just didn't bother... Congrats on finishing!

Mary 9/18/2008 4:25 AM  

What an interesting challenge. I'm compiling a list of books I've always wanted to read but never got around to. Today I'm adding A Room With A View. I saw the movie years ago but would really like to read it. Glad I read your blog this morning :~)

Carrie K 9/18/2008 1:51 PM  

Glad you had fun with the challenge! That's a fun list to browse. I love Sarum & The 3 Musketeers.

Bookfool 9/20/2008 6:43 PM  

That original post was hilarious! I'm glad I didn't read it at the right time, though, because I stink at challenges. One at a time is all I can handle. Sounds like this was a really fun one (and the button is just the coolest).

Bellezza 9/20/2008 6:46 PM  

I always wanted to read Centennial, and A Room With A View. Hopefully some day...congratulations on finishing the challenge!

By the way, I love Margaret Atwood too, and Cat's Eye was especially meaningful to me in the depiction of girlhood. Not always a happy place with other girls "bullying" you.

SuziQoregon 9/23/2008 2:43 PM  

Renay: thanks for putting together such a fun challenge. It was definitely a hit! Now you just have to keep that list of recommendations available for reference.

Kailana: I think she's a hit or miss author with a lot of folks. I keep hearing things like "I like her books except for ....."

Mary: it was a great challenge - I only had to read three, but the recommendation list is worth keeping.

Carrie: I really want to re-read Sarum one of these days.

Bookfool: Exactly! I really wasn't going to join any more challenges but the original post and the adorable button sucked me right in. Plus I only had to read 3 books.

Bellezza: I've read Centennial multiple times and recommended it to lots of folks. It's definitely a good one.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP