THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

>> Monday, September 22, 2008

Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: Originally 1883, this edition 2000
Pages: 340
Challenges:
Decades 08 #10 (1880’s), TBR 2008 #12

This is yet another of those classics that I managed to miss. It’s part coming of age story, part adventure and really just an enjoyable read.

Jim Hawkins is helping his parents run an inn as the story opens, before long, he’s off on an adventure as a cabin boy in search of treasure. Long John Silver is a great character. There were more twists and turns in the story than I’d expected. I somehow managed to never see a movie version either, so this was truly my first exposure to this book.

For a book written so long ago, it was easier than some ‘classics’ to read. That’s probably because it was written for a younger audience. Definitely a classic worth reading.

5 comments:

Eva 9/22/2008 9:15 PM  

I've been meaning to read this for a few years! I'm glad it's not a dull read. :D

raidergirl3 9/23/2008 4:47 PM  

Do you watch Survivor? It reminded me of that show completely! Or rather, the show ends up being just like pirates going after a treasure.
It takes a whole bunch of people to get the prize, but everyone wants it all for themselves in the end. Long John Silver was awesome- he always changed teams at just the right time.

Framed 9/26/2008 9:16 PM  

I can't believe I've never read this one. Maybe I can get to it for the next Classics Challenge.

Carrie 9/27/2008 7:43 AM  

I just read this earlier this year. Given it's date of publication, it comes before even Swiss Family Robinson. It is THE castaway story that so many others are based on which makes it a book that SHOULD be read!

SuziQoregon 10/02/2008 8:52 AM  

Eva: it wasn't dull at all. It's really a good adventure story.

Raidergirl: Yes I'm a Survivor fan - love the analogy to the contestants being like the pirates going for treasure. Long John Silver was definitely the master of playing all sides.

Framed: Oh read it. I think you'll enjoy it.

Carrie: That surprises me that it predates Swiss Family. I agree - it should be read. All the pirate tales are based on it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP