THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Treatment by Mo Hayder

>> Saturday, November 8, 2008

Series: #2 in the Jack Caffery series
Genre: Mystery / Psychological Thriller
Publication Date: 2001
Pages: 404
Challenges: ,
2nds Challenge #3, TBR 2008 Alternate #7

Mo Hayder can write a mystery/ psychological thriller that can keep me turning the pages and not want to stop reading. She can also write an extremely disturbing book that can give the faint of heart nightmares and make many people want to put the book aside long before finishing it.

Definitely not a book I’d recommend to a lot of folks, but if you made it through her first book (Birdman) you’ll want to read this one. Jack Caffery is back and he’s still the damaged and not wholly likeable hero he was in Birdman. The case in this book is just as messed up, if not more. The twists and turns keep the reader guessing. Jack’s personal tragedy continues to haunt him and there are more twists and turns about the story of what happened to Jack’s brother so many years ago.

Not for everyone, but a well done, if disturbing, story.

9 comments:

raidergirl3 11/09/2008 6:16 AM  

Sounds like just the kind of book I would like. Thanks for the review SuziQ, it definitely appeals to me.

Vickie 11/09/2008 11:08 AM  

Suzi: I really liked BIRDMAN, as disturbing as it was. I read the disturbing ones from time to time. So long as a book is well written and it intrigues me, I will read it. This did both for me. I am looking forward to THE TREATMENT.

Framed 11/09/2008 2:47 PM  

I haven't read a good psychological thriller in a while. This one looks good, but I will start with the first one.

samantha.1020 11/09/2008 6:35 PM  

This was an intriguing review as I'm wondering if I would like it or not. Adding it to the TBR list so thanks!

Literary Feline 11/10/2008 8:57 PM  

I haven't yet read Birdman, but I want to, along with this one. I have read The Devil of Nanking (or Tokyo) and really liked it. Just as you describe this one, that one was very dark.

SuziQoregon 11/11/2008 4:58 PM  

Raidergirl: She writes freaky stuff, but does it well.

Vickie: You'll like this one.

Framed: defintely start with the first one - there are continuing background stories as well as the primary mystery.

Samantha: Fair warning - it's gruesome and disturbing. Some folks do better with that kind of stuff than others.

Literary Feline: I'm glad to hear you liked Devil of Nanking. That's the next one of hers that I plan to read. You need to read Birdman before this one.

Carrie 11/15/2008 8:56 AM  

I would be the one suffering the nightmares! But it was interesting reading your review anyway.

Bookfool 11/15/2008 7:30 PM  

I'm getting strong skipster vibes.

SuziQoregon 11/16/2008 6:59 AM  

Carrie: Glad I could warn you away from it. Just not a series for everyone.

Bookfool: You, my friend, should not even pick this one up at the bookstore, much less read any of it ;-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP