THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Bookman’s Wake by John Dunning

>> Wednesday, January 28, 2009


Series: #2 in the Cliff Janeway series
Genre: Mystery
Publication Date: 1995
Pages: 432
Challenges:
TBR 2009 Challenge #4, Support Your Local Library Challenge #4, What’s In a Name 2 Challenge #2 (Profession)

I think I liked this second book in the Cliff Janeway series even more than the first one.

Cliff Janeway is a former cop who is now a book dealer in Colorado. He gets a visit from a former colleague who entices him into going to Seattle to transport a fugitive who is suspected of assault and possible stealing a rare edition of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven”. It’s the book angle that convinces Janeway to agree to the job.

This book has a very noir-ish feel to it. I could almost see it playing out as a black and white movie as I read. Seattle in October is dark and rainy. There is an old mystery involving a small book publishing company that was destroyed by fire many years ago. There are characters straight out of a Sam Spade story stalking Janeway and his charge, Eleanor Rigby (yes, that’s really her name). Add in an enterprising reporter who has researched Grayson books and the possibility of finding copies of previously unknown books they’d produced and soon Janeway is not leaving town until he’s got this one solved.

It’s got old murders, new murders, lots of characters and plot twists. This is a great one for curling up on a cold winter weekend. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in this series.

12 comments:

raidergirl3 1/29/2009 8:56 AM  

This sounds really good! I liked the first one okay, but it didn't make me want to rush out and read the second one. Now maybe I do.
Thanks for the great, inticing review.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane 1/29/2009 12:48 PM  

What a timely post! I just finished "Booked to Die" last night. I had it on my TBR shelf for a while, and it took me a bit to get into it. I ended up liking it though, but was a little on the fence about continuing with the series. After reading your review, I might have to get the next one at the library :)

Happy Reading!

Vickie 1/29/2009 2:12 PM  

I had the same feel for this when I read it. I had the voiceover going on, too. This is such a good series.

Booklogged 1/29/2009 7:35 PM  

I liked the 2nd one better, too.

SuziQoregon 1/30/2009 11:52 AM  

Raidergirl: I kind of felt the same way about the first one. Liked it, but not in a big hurry for the second. I liked this one a lot.

Stacy: I noticed on my Goodreads update that you were reading Booked to Die ;-) I do think one of the reasons I liked this one was the Seattle area setting. Familiar places.

Vickie: wouldn't this one make a great Saturday afternoon black and white movie??

Booklogged: Have you read the 3rd one??

Framed 1/31/2009 9:08 PM  

I've read three of this series but not in any order. Loved them all. There's one sitting on the shelf to be read. I hope it's not one I've already visited.

samantha.1020 2/02/2009 6:25 AM  

I've been meaning to read this series for awhile now. Great review!

SuziQoregon 2/03/2009 11:51 AM  

Framed: good to know you've enjoyed all of them.

Samantha: Hope you get a chance to read one of them soon and that you like the series too.

Robin of My Two Blessings 2/07/2009 1:24 PM  

This sounds really interesting. Just added booked to die and bookman's wake on to my ever growing wish list. thanks for the good review.

SuziQoregon 2/13/2009 2:30 PM  

Robin: Yay! Hope you like them.

Rebecca :) 4/29/2009 4:27 PM  

Ooh. This does look good. I am putting it on my list!

SuziQoregon 4/30/2009 9:21 AM  

Rebecca: it's an interesting series. Hope you like it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP