THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Triptych by Karin Slaughter

>> Thursday, January 8, 2009

Series: #1 in the Will Trent series
Genre: Mystery
Publication Date: 2006
Pages: 480
Challenges: none

Originally this was a standalone book as Karin Slaughter took a break from her Grant County series. It turns out that she’s now written a follow up, turning this into the first in another series.

There is a serial rapist/killer on the loose in Atlanta. The crimes are particularly awful. Detective Michael Ormewood is investigating and Will Trent from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is assigned to join him in the investigation. These two men don’t particularly like or trust each other and things just get more and more complicated as the book progresses.

Like the Grant County books, this one has some pretty brutal action and the good guys are as flawed (if not more) than the bad guys. There’s always at least one main character in her books that I just can’t find likeable in any way. I won’t say which character it is in this book. That’s because figuring out who the good guys are and who the bad guys are in this one is part of the mystery. There are lots of twists and turns and I like books that do that well.

If you’ve read and liked any of the Grant County series, I strongly encourage you to give this one a try.

9 comments:

Kay 1/08/2009 8:52 PM  

My mystery group did this book earlier this year. People were very polarized in their views. Some hated it, some loved it. I'm closer to the loved it side. Severely flawed characters, but one stands out that I loved. Will. The sequel was my very best mystery of 2008. It's called FRACTURED and continues Will's story. I've read 3 of the Grant County books. Had to take a break from them, as they are quite graphic as well, but I'm planning on catching up by reading the next 3 this year.

Vickie 1/09/2009 12:59 PM  

This is one of the books that showed my dad that women could write superb thrillers and not just 'murder she wrote' cozies.
I love reading Karin Slaughter's books, but I always have to take a break in between.
When I saw Karin at a book signing, she said the reason she didn't set this one in Grant County was because the book was in her and had to be written and only so much can happen in teeny tiny Grant County.
I look forward to the follow up book.

DeSeRt RoSe 1/09/2009 11:01 PM  

Hey SuziQoregon

I passed by to tell you I have a butterfly award for you here ..

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/01/butterfly-award.html

Take Care :)

Mo 1/10/2009 4:28 AM  

I just luv her Grant County series, but I had put off reading this one - I don't know WHY, other than I have found other "series" writers whom I like, but their stand-alones always seem to fall short; sounds like that isn't the case with Slaughter. May have to give this a go, afterall.

Thanks for the excellent review, and have a great weekend!

samantha.1020 1/11/2009 4:23 PM  

I've never read anything by this author but I'm intrigued by your review. Off to check out what other books she has written :)

SuziQoregon 1/11/2009 4:44 PM  

Kay: I'm not surprised that your group was polarized. I think most people I know who have read her books either like or hate them. I'm glad to hear Fractured is good. I'm not sure I could read 3 of her books in a row. I tend to follow them up with lighter stuff or cozy mysteries for balance.

Vickie: I was glad to hear that she's written a follow up. I'll be looking forward to reading it.


Desert Rose: Aww - you're sweet - thank you.

Mo: read it ;-)

Samantha: be aware - her books have grisly and violent elements, but they're good mysteries with interesting and not always likeable characters.

Tristi Pinkston 1/12/2009 5:46 PM  

Hey there,

I'm looking for book reviewers to add to my contact list. Would you please drop me a note at TristiATtristipinkston.com ?

Joy 1/13/2009 5:10 AM  

I'm still behind in the other series, but I think I have this on my TBR shelf. Glad to read another positive review.

SuziQoregon 1/13/2009 7:26 AM  

Tristi: thanks, but I'm pretty much focused on my TBR list for now.

Joy: since this one's not part of the other series - read it. It was kind of nice to see her take a break from the Grant County folks.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP