THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

>> Wednesday, May 27, 2009



Genre: Fiction
Series: #2 in the Hitchhiker’s series
Publication Date: 1980
Read by: Martin Freeman

The craziness that began with The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy continues in this second volume of a trilogy that is now 5 parts. Douglas Adams was some kind of genius. The combination of Science Fiction, comedy, and fable just kept me giggling as I drove and listened to this one. If you haven’t read or listened to The Hitchhiker’s Guide, do so, then continue with the series. Since they were originally written as radio shows, they really work well as audiobooks.

Arthur Dent of the late destroyed planet Earth and his friend Ford Prefect (originally from somewhere near Betelgeuse) continue their adventures with Trillian (also a refugee from Earth), Zaphod Beeblebrox (the 2 headed, 3 armed ex-president of the galaxy), and Marvin (a paranoid and depressed android).

After that it starts to get a little crazy. The part where the spaceship is seconds away from doom, and the computer is totally focused on making Arthur an acceptable cup of tea just had me giggling all the way home from the store. The titular restaurant literally is a dinner theater where the attraction is the final destruction of the universe. Grammer lessons are included because after all, when you can jump around in time the whole concept of being limited to present, future and past tense is a bit limiting. In the first book we learned that ultimate answer is 42, but what is the question?


The randomness and humor of this is thoroughly entertaining and I can’t wait to listen to the remaining 3 books in this “increasingly inaccurately named trilogy”.

5 comments:

imbookingit 5/28/2009 9:08 PM  

I love that series! I haven't reread it for years-- I bet it is perfectly suited for audio, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the review.

Kailana 5/29/2009 2:11 PM  

Okay, word verification is working now! All I said was that it would be an experience to listen to these books! I really must reread them in some manner one of these days!

SuziQoregon 5/30/2009 7:50 AM  

Imbookingit: It's great on audio. The Hubster read them years ago, but I'll re-listen to them again later this summer so he can listen when we take a couple of road trips.

Kailana: glad it's working again. I do recommend audio when you re-read these.

Les 6/03/2009 7:32 PM  

I've only read the first in this series, but you've piqued my interest with your review. Might have to listen to Hitchhiker's before diving into the rest in the series. Thanks, SuziQ!

SuziQoregon 6/04/2009 9:44 AM  

Les - Oh they're fun on audio. Definitely give the first one a listen before you dive into the rest.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP