THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

>> Sunday, May 17, 2009

Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 534
Challenges:
Support Your Local Library Challenge #20

What an excellent book! Thanks again go to my friend Eleanor because when she rates a book 5 stars, I pay attention.
Her review on Goodreads convinced me to get on the library waiting list and I’m so glad I did. I’m actually going to miss reading it now that I’ve finished.

Dr. Marion Stone was born in 1954 and grew up at a mission hospital in Ethiopa. His mother was a nun from India, his father was a talented English surgeon. His mother died after giving birth to Marion and his twin brother, their father abandoned them and disappeared that same day. Raised by two doctors during a turbulent time in Ethiopia’s history, the two boys did not lack for family. Marion and his brother were close friends as well as rivals. It’s incredibly difficult to summarize the story without rambling but I will say that Marion ends up working in a poor hospital in New York where past betrayals reenter his life and the story comes full circle.

Moving between India, Ethiopia, and America, this is a story of families formed and families destroyed. The writing is wonderful and the characters will stay with me for a long time. Even the detailed medical information and descriptions are well written. When I was trying to tell The Hubster about the book I ended up rambling hopelessly because the story is complex. He said it sounded a bit like the style of The Kite Runner and I think he’s right. There’s somewhat of a similar feel although it’s a very different kind of story than The Kite Runner.

I got emotionally involved with this book. The characters became very real for me. Even the minor characters had an impact. It really reads almost like a memoir rather than fiction.

Don’t miss this one. It’s that good.

12 comments:

Amy 5/17/2009 1:05 PM  

I should make an effort to read this sooner as opposed to later. Thanks for this fantastic review!

Mary 5/17/2009 1:25 PM  

This book has been on my radar for quite a while now. Nice review.

Booklogged 5/17/2009 5:19 PM  

When you give such an enthusiastic review, I pay attention. It's onto 'The List' for this book. Thanks, SuziQ.

Eva 5/18/2009 7:46 AM  

I want to run out and read this right now! :)

SuziQoregon 5/18/2009 6:27 PM  

Amy: Oh definitely move it near the top of the pile. I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

Mary: I think you'll like it.

Booklogged: I don't have any trouble encouraging folks to read this one. One of the best I've read in a while.

Eva: do it :-) It really is that good.

Nicola 5/19/2009 9:22 AM  

I so totally agree with you on this one! Fantastic! I can see this being in my top ten books of the year and probably near the top, too.

Jean Lewis 5/19/2009 12:16 PM  

This bigger than life novel touched me deeply. Cutting for Stone is destined to be a classic. It is a must read.

booklineandsinker 5/20/2009 6:20 AM  

i love when a novel can completely sweep me up with the writing, characters, and plot. this sounds like a goody! thanks for the tip.

SuziQoregon 5/20/2009 10:33 AM  

Nicola: I keep recommending it to almost everyone I know.

Jean: definitely. Even the minor characters.

Booklineandsinker: I doubt you'll be sorry you read it.

Framed 5/23/2009 7:01 AM  

Thanks for the review. This one sounds too good to pass on.

SmallWorld at Home 5/23/2009 7:45 AM  

I just read this, too. Loved it! Even got an email from Dr. Verghese!
http://smallworldreads.blogspot.com/2009/05/book-review-cutting-for-stone.html

SuziQoregon 5/27/2009 9:39 AM  

Framed: I really think you'll like it.

SmallWorld: Oh very cool. He found me on Twitter and said he liked my review.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP