THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon

>> Thursday, July 23, 2009



Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 320
Challenges: None

I received this ARC from
Bookbrowse. I’d never heard of Dan Chaon but the book description intrigued me.

The book is a mix of three stories that at the beginning seem totally unconnected, but as you read, the connections start clicking and pretty soon you can’t put it down because you just have to find out how this all ends.

Miles is in search of his twin brother who he’s been trying to track down for years. He keeps getting mysterious calls or letters, but hasn’t been able to actually find him. Lucy is a recent high school graduate whose parents were tragically killed. She’s happy to be leaving a dead end life in her small Ohio town with her boyfriend who also is her former High School history teacher. Ryan was stunned to find out as a college student that the people he thought were his biological parents actually adopted him. He’s also happy to be leaving a life he sees as a series of lies behind him.

As the book opens these three people aren’t even in the same state. Their stories unfold in alternating chapters giving the reader clues here and there as to who is actually who in the stories. The question of identity is at the heart of this book. False identities and hidden truths abound. Pretty soon the characters and the reader are both questioning the true identity of everyone.

I liked this book a lot. I kept making guesses as to how it would all resolve and changing my mind. If you need a book with clear linear timelines or all the ends tightly wrapped up in a bow, stay away from this one. If you like a story of intrigue, deception and a bit of mystery and suspense, I recommend it highly. Although none of the main characters are truly likeable, the ever more involved web of story and timelines kept me turning the pages as fast as I could.



Rating 4/5

7 comments:

Booklogged 7/22/2009 9:01 PM  

Hey, thanks for directing me to BookBrowse. Looks like a great site. And this book sounds like one I would enjoy immensely. I love books that alternate between characters and story and then bring them all together at some point. History of Love pops into mind. I loved it.

Melissa 7/23/2009 3:56 AM  

This totally sounds like my kind of book - thanks twinlet!

alisonwonderland 7/24/2009 11:01 AM  

Nice review! I'm adding this one to my to-read list.

SuziQoregon 7/24/2009 2:01 PM  

Booklogged: I like Bookbrowse a lot. I've added many a book to my TBR list thanks to them.

Melissa: I think you'd like it. You'd also like the one I'm reading now too!

Alison: It was good - a mix of mystery, suspense, psychological thriller.

Rebecca :) 7/26/2009 7:40 PM  

I liked your review! This one is intriguing!

bermudaonion 7/28/2009 10:36 AM  

This book just showed up at my house one day and I've been wondering about it. Glad to see it's good.

SuziQoregon 7/28/2009 1:37 PM  

Rebecca: It's a book that's hard to categorize - a bit of mystery, a bit of psychological thriller, a bit of I'm not quite sure what else.

Bermudaonion: LOL at the book 'showing up at your house'. It's hard to pin down, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP