THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

>> Tuesday, July 7, 2009



Genre: YA Fiction
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 213
Challenges:
Support Your Local Library Challenge #33


This is a book that is so good, yet because of the nature of the story, difficult to read. It’s well worth getting over the difficulty because once you start; you won’t want to put it down. Fortunately it is a very quick read.

Kyra is thirteen and lives with her family in a compound somewhere unspecified but implied to be a desert area in the US. Kyra’s family consists of her father, his three wives and their combined 21 children and two more on the way. They are members of The Chosen Ones; a polygamous cult living isolated from mainstream society. When the Prophet declares that Kyra is to become the seventh wife of her sixty year old uncle, Kyra can hardly believe it. She wonders if it’s her punishment for secretly getting books from the bookmobile that passes nearby on a regular basis. Books other than the bible are not allowed. Perhaps it is because she’s been secretly meeting a boy she hoped would choose her for his wife. No matter why, Kyra knows that she doesn’t want to go through with this marriage. Can it be stopped? What will happen to her or the rest of her family if she disobeys? I can’t say more without giving away the story.

Some of what happens in this story is truly frightening and heartbreaking. Told by Kyra, it sometimes jumps around a bit like any thirteen year old telling a story would do, but the pace builds to a finale that just begs to be read without interruption. Kyra is na├»ve and sheltered, yet at the same time she’s wise beyond her years. What’s saddest for me is to think that there are likely young girls out there somewhere today dealing with the same issues that Kyra is coping with.

It’s a well-written, fascinating book and I highly recommend it.

Rating 4.5/5

7 comments:

J. Kaye 7/07/2009 6:25 PM  

I found my eyes glued to the pages...it was some raw material.

Anna 7/08/2009 7:13 AM  

I've heard good things about this one. I hope to read it at some point. Thanks for the review!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kailana 7/08/2009 7:32 AM  

I really want to read this. Must find the time because it looks good! Great review!

SuziQoregon 7/09/2009 10:01 AM  

J. Kaye: definitely raw - hard to read in spots making me angry and sad. But I loved Kyra.

Anna: It's really good. Short, but excellent.

Kailana: It's one you can squeeze in easily and well worth it. Even full busy days at work and not much reading time it was a 2 day book.

Rebecca :) 7/09/2009 10:03 PM  

I have this one but have not gotten to it yet (seems to be a lot of that going on in my world). I am looking forward to reading it though.

teachergirlbooks 7/10/2009 8:45 PM  

This sounds really interesting, like it would be good fodder for discussion. Thanks for the review; I've added it to my to be read list.

SuziQoregon 7/12/2009 8:29 PM  

Rebecca: it's a pretty quick read, but there's a lot to absorb.

Teachergirsbooks: thanks for stopping by. This one would be great for discussion. Lots to talk about!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP