THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

A World I Never Made by James LePore

>> Sunday, July 26, 2009


Genre: Suspense
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 262
Challenges:
Support Your Local Library Challenge #35


First of all, a great big Thank You to Literary Feline at
Musings of a Bookish Kitty for sparking my interest in this book with her review. I was initially disappointed that neither of my libraries had it, so I did submit a purchase request, but being my usual impatient self, went the interlibrary loan route. The interlibrary request process was quick and easy (thank you Washington County Cooperative Library System). Now that I’ve read the book, I’ve handed it to The Hubster so he can read it before it’s due back.

Pat Nolan arrives in Paris to claim his daughter’s body. The French police show him her suicide note, but the shock and disbelief have him stunned. Then he goes to the morgue to make the identification and is shown a body that he knows is not his daughter's. Quickly processing the few clues he has, he tells the police that the body is his daughter, even though he knows it is not.

What follows is a roller coaster of a ride through France, Morocco, The Czech Republic and many other parts of Europe and North Africa. Who is Megan Nolan? Is she the terrorist that the French Police seem to think she is? Is she the impetuous and independent free-lance journalist her father thinks she is? He hasn’t seen her in over a year and they’ve been pretty much estranged for many years, so does her father really know her?

Soon Pat Nolan and the French policewoman assigned to the case find themselves on their own and in danger. Saudi police, French intelligence agencies, the FBI, known terrorists as well as gypsies become part of the action. Interspersed with the current activities are flashbacks to the past year of Megan’s life telling her side of what led up to the current mess.

It’s a fast paced, suspenseful read. I enjoyed the story and ended up liking the main characters despite not liking them much at first. Lots of twists and turns kept me guessing and the story of a fairly current nature with terrorists and various national security concerns scooping up both innocent and not-so innocent bystanders was a nice change of pace from the typical murder mystery type of suspense story.



Rating 4.5/5

7 comments:

Rebecca :) 7/26/2009 7:34 PM  

This book sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the review!

Booklogged 7/26/2009 7:40 PM  

I need to start using my library more. I used to check out books all the time but lately I've been buying so many. It has got to stop!

This one does sound really good. Thanks for the good review.

gautami tripathy 7/26/2009 9:20 PM  

Despite a few loose ends, this book does hold.

booklineandsinker 7/27/2009 10:18 PM  

i love the name of this challenge. some days i feel like i single-handedly support my local library through overdue fines. it's pathetic really, considering that i volunteer there once a week and should have NO excuse for overdue books. lol.

SuziQoregon 7/28/2009 1:40 PM  

Rebecca: if you like mysteries or suspense but are tired of police procedurals this is a good change of pace.

Booklogged: I'm very lucky to have two very excellent county library systems that I can easily take advantage of. I can stop at both on the way home from work.

Guatami Tripathy: Exactly - a few minor flaws, but all in all a well done book.

BookLineandSinker: Don't you love that challenge name?? I'm so glad J Kaye is hosting it this year. I love my libraries.

Literary Feline 8/02/2009 12:24 AM  

I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Suzi, and were able to get it through your library.

SuziQoregon 8/02/2009 6:52 AM  

Literary Feline: thank YOU so much for the recommendation. The Hubster is reading it now. He's about halfway through and likes it a lot too.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP