THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

>> Sunday, September 20, 2009



Genre: YA – Science-Fiction/Dystopian
Publication Date: 2008
Read by: Carolyn McCormick


Yes, I just read the book a few months ago, so this post is not about the plot of The Hunger Games it’s about the Audio version of the book and my audiobook listening in general.

For my thoughts about the story see
my review of The Hunger Games.

I decided that listening to the audio version of this book was a great way for a re-read before reading the sequel. I was glad I did. It was a nice way to be refreshed on the story and it was interesting to compare the audio to reading it. Bottom line, I loved the book in both versions.

Carolyn McCormick is an excellent reader and I’m pleased to see that she has also read the audio version of Catching Fire. You may not recognize her name, but if you’ve watched even a few of the ubiquitous Law & Order episodes on TV, you’ll probably recognize her voice as that of psychologist
Dr. Elizabeth Olivet. She has consistently appeared as a guest star on that series.

What I discovered while listening to this book is that I apparently have some distinct preferences for my audiobook listening. I listen almost exclusively in the car when I’m driving by myself. When I first started listening to books in the car, cassette tapes were the most common format. Gradually the selection of books on cd became more extensive and then I got a car with no cassette deck. In the meantime I also acquired several ipods, one of which is now dedicated to audiobooks.

I started this book by listening directly from the cds. I had a day long road trip and had just picked it up from the library. I found that in this particular book the tracks tended to be longer (4-5 minutes) which made it more awkward to backtrack just a little bit if I wanted to. The advantage of cassettes was always a quick short rewind when necessary. One difficulty in listening to cds is that (at least on my car stereo) I have to back up to the beginning of the track.

I guess I’ve been spoiled by my ipod. I ended up going ahead and downloading this book and finishing it by listening from the ipod. It gave me back that ability to back up just a half minute or so when I want to. From now on even though the book on cd might not be due back at the library right away, I’m going to go ahead and put it on my ipod because I find that I need that. Because I listen in primarily 10 to 15 minute increments while driving around town or running errands, being able to back it up just a teensy bit rather than up to 5 minutes to the beginning of the track is important to me.

Lessons learned, I guess.

Bottom line on the audio version of The Hunger Games is that I still give it a 5 star rating and recommend it as either an initial or as a re-read option.


Rating: 5/5

7 comments:

Kailana 9/20/2009 9:34 AM  

I think when book three gets close to being released I am going to listen to this book and the sequel on audio to refresh my memory!

Framed 9/20/2009 2:07 PM  

I would love to listen to this book. Like you, I mainly listen in the car but usually on long trips. The audio book keeps me awake so I need pretty exciting fare. The Hunger Games would definitely be a good fit,

Vickie 9/20/2009 6:30 PM  

I've done this with a few books I enjoyed reading the 'traditional' way and thought the audio version would be fun. And I was right! I have this book on the WWBL and now off to RecordedBooks to see if they carry it. If they do, it's on the wishlist.

Heather 9/22/2009 5:24 PM  

I really enjoyed the audio version. I thought the reader was terrific and, of course, I really enjoyed the story. I can't wait to reread Catching Fire on audio!

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 9:50 AM  

Kailana: I plan to do the same thing. Even though it had only been a few months, I was glad I listened to this as a reread before Catching Fire.

Framed: it's good on audio. I'm actually listening yet again - started it for The Hubster on our way back from the football game last weekend. He's enjoying it. We'll finish it up on a road trip we have planned in a couple of weeks.

Vickie: I've only done this with a few that I've read and then done the audio on road trips with The Hubster. It's a good way to refresh before sequels if it's not too long.

Heather: I'm pretty sure that you're the one who convinced to re-read via audio. Thanks!!

Anonymous,  4/10/2010 2:20 AM  

hello


Just saying hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous,  5/20/2010 9:00 AM  

Bonjour

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP