THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

BBAW 09 – Thank you Meghan

>> Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Today’s BBAW topic is to talk about a book I read only because I discovered it on another blog. That was a difficult selection to make because many of the books I’ve read this year have been due to recommendations from book bloggers. I’ve already talked about many of them in my posts earlier this week spotlighting favorite bloggers.

Many of the books came recommended by multiple bloggers and ended up on my TBR list after reading several reviews. The book and blogger I chose to talk about today is The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen which came highly recommended by Meghan at Medieval Bookworm. The reason I’m highlighting that one is that it was her review and her review alone that convinced me to buy the book.


I hadn’t even heard that this book existed until Meghan posted her review (see
Meghan’s review of The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet). She actually posted it just as the book was released here in the US. I stopped at the bookstore on my way home that night and bought it. Meghan’s review was enough to convince me that I would like this book and that it might also be something The Hubster might like. He hasn’t read it yet, but I enjoyed it tremendously. I knew from Meghan’s description and from browsing through the book after I bought it that it was a book I wanted to save to read on vacation. It’s an oversized hardcover with many notes, diagrams and drawings in the text and margins. It’s a book that begs to be read sitting in a comfy place. I’m glad I didn’t try to read it on my daily commute and workplace lunchtime routine reading schedule.

Please check out
my review of T.S Spivet for further details on my thoughts.

This is not the first and I’m sure won’t be the last book that Meghan has influenced me to read. I’ve been subscribed to her blog for a while now and it’s definitely among those I check first when I see new content. She writes excellent reviews and reads a variety of books. I get the best historical fiction recommendations from her! And she knows what she’s talking about because she’s a MA candidate in Medieval Studies at the University of York in England.


I encourage you to check out Meghan’s blog at
Medieval Bookworm. It’s gorgeous as well as informative, useful and fun.

7 comments:

Meghan 9/17/2009 6:53 AM  

You are so very welcome! I'm thrilled that I influenced you to buy and love the book. I hope you go on to influence many, many more people. :D

Beth F 9/17/2009 7:28 AM  

That Meghan adds to my reading list almost daily!

Bookfool 9/17/2009 7:28 AM  

But, it's on my wish list because of someone named SuziQ . . . so the blame will come back around and slap you in the head. Hahaha. Such fun being a blogger, isn't it?

Kailana 9/17/2009 8:30 AM  

I just recently read this book, but I haven't reviewed it yet. I couldn't even tell you where I heard of it anymore...

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 9:38 AM  

Meghan: I think The Hubster is going to read this after he finishes his current book. Or at least he'll read the parts I haven't already read to him ;-) One sort of quote we already use from this book is that when we're getting ready to head out somehwhere we'll say "got your adventure pants?" (it's from one of his lists and just made me giggle).

Guatami Tripathy, Bookfool: You should at least give Meghan partial credit (blame?) ;-)

BethF: yeah she does that ;-)

Kailana: Ooooh - hope you enjoyed it.

Literary Feline 9/25/2009 12:14 AM  

Meghan is a great resource for book recommendations, isn't she? I just love her blog (and her). There have been a few books that I run out and get after reading about them on blogs. I haven't regretted it yet.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP