THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Book Blogger Appreciation Week – (Bloggers I appreciate)

>> Monday, September 14, 2009


Today is the first official day of Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2009. The awards nominations and voting are done and we can now move into what I consider the heart of Book Blogger Appreciation Week which is talking about and thanking my favorite book bloggers who have added to my life as much as they have added to my TBR list.

The powers that be behind Book Blogger Appreciation Week have set some suggested daily posting topics for this week. I’m opting to participate in some, but not all of those. The theme for the week is Celebrate Books.

I love that theme – it’s difficult for me to talk about books without talking about my reading friends I’ve discovered since I started this blog a little over three years ago. Today’s BBAW theme is exactly that. We’ve been asked to spotlight some favorite blogs that did not make the awards shorlists.

If I spotlighted all of my favorite blogs that didn’t get shortlisted this would be the world’s longest blog post so some picking and choosing had to happen. I decided to limit my spotlights to three and to select some bloggers that I feel like I’ve known for a long time. All three of these wonderful ladies were among the first people to find my blog and it was through them that I was introduced to the ever growing book blogging community. Please check out these blogs if you haven’t already done so. I can vouch for the quality of their recommendations and excellence in blogging.


Booklogged at
A Reader’s Journal

Booklogged will always hold a very special place in my heart. She was the first person to post a comment on my blog that wasn’t from someone I already knew. I was stunned the day that happened. I seriously never expected anyone but my friends to read this. When she posted I read her blog and then through her blogroll and comments found a the breadcrumbs of a trail that led me to discovering a whole list of other book blogs. I’d had no idea there were so many.

Booklogged and I have shared many recommendations over the years. We don’t always like the same books, but our tastes overlap enough and we both tend to read a variety of genres and authors. Last summer I had the thrill of actually meeting her in person. She and her husband along with her truly delightful mother were visiting the Portland area and we were able to get together at Powells Books for a thoroughly enjoyable visit.


Les at
Lesley’s Book Nook

Les is another one of the early visitors to my blog and someone whose recommendations I’ve come to trust. Although she doesn’t live here she’s visited the Pacific Northwest several times since I’ve ‘known’ her. One of these days our trips to the Oregon coast will coincide and when that happens she and I will be meeting for lunch at The Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach in Newport.


Les not only has an excellent book blog, she’s an amazing photographer too. Her photography blog can be found here at Lesley’s Photoblog. Over the years, I’ve read several books based on Les’s recommendations, and she routinely adds to my TBR list. She works in a bookstore and I love when she posts her endcap displays.


Bookfool at
Bookfoolery and Babble

Again one of my early book blogging buddies, Bookfool has the most amazing sense of humor and eye for fun. She, like Les is an excellent photographer. If you haven’t seen it, be sure to check out
Bookfools Photoblog too. Between Bookfool and Les I’m hoping to gain some photography skills by osmosis.

Bookfool has the honor of having an aspect of my mystery/thriller reviews named after her. Often when I would post a review of this type of book she would ask me if it was gruesome or scary enough to cause her nightmares. So now, when I say a book passes “The Bookfool Test” it means that it’s a good mystery or suspense story without being nightmare inducing.


There are far too many bloggers who fit into the category of favorite blogs that weren’t shortlisted, but please take the time to visit these excellent blogs. Their recommendations can be trusted.

11 comments:

gautami tripathy 9/14/2009 3:56 AM  

All three do deserve mentions. Great blogs, those!

BBAW: My very own shortlist

Les 9/14/2009 4:00 AM  

What a surprise to see my name (and the photo of The Chowder Bowl!) here this morning! Thank you so much for your kind words about me & my blog. I feel like I know you, too (don't even have to explain to my husband anymore who SuziQ is!) and hope we get to meet someday. The chowder will be my treat. :)

Thanks for making my day!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks 9/14/2009 9:06 AM  

I didn't know Lesley; thanks for the introduction :)

And how can it be that I follow you on Twitter, but hadn't added Whimpulsive to my GR? I've fixed that now!

Enjoy the BBAW festivities!

Bookfool 9/14/2009 9:37 AM  

Awww, thanks Q. You've given me my warm fuzzy for the day, for sure. Thanks for saying all those nice things about me. I think Booklogged, Les, you and I came into blogging within weeks or months of each other. The three of you are definitely extra special to me and I wish I could meet you in person. I've never been to the PNW but I'm hoping someday . . .

Love ya bunches!

Literary Feline 9/14/2009 1:42 PM  

I really enjoy visiting these three blogs too--and yours, of course! You all spoil me rotten with all the book reviews and recommendations. :-)

OnlinePublicist 9/14/2009 2:25 PM  

Such well deserved recommendations! Your description of why each blog is important to you really made this post amazing. That personal connection is what it's all about!

Happy BBAW!

Les 9/14/2009 2:51 PM  

Awww, isn't Bookfool great! Maybe we should plan an Oregon gathering. Wouldn't that be fun!

Belle 9/14/2009 2:53 PM  

What a great list! It's been so enjoyable reading everyone's personal shortlists.

Booklogged 9/14/2009 10:44 PM  

I have tears brimming. . .

I don't want to ruin a meeting between you and Les at The Chowder Bowl, but can Bookfool and I come, too? I'll treat if you'll let us crash!

Thank-you so much for including me in this post. It made my day, even if I didn't find out about it until evening. I'll be walking a bit lighter for the next few days.

It's actually kind of funny because I did a post today that included my favorite bloggers and you, Bookfool and Les were all on the list. I do think it's because we all started blog about the same time.

Also, my mother is all the time asking me about you. Isn't she about the dearest lady? She was so much fun on our trip.

Les 9/15/2009 3:43 AM  

I'd forgotten that you and Booklogged met in Oregon! It sounds like the four of us definitely need to get together! Thanks again for the lovely write-up, Suzi.

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 9:05 AM  

Les, Booklogged and Bookfool: Yup - I think a meeting of all of us would be fabulous. One of these days . . . . Thanks for being my book blogging buddies since nearly the birth of this thing.

Dawn: Oh I'm so glad I could introduce you to Les and I'm always having to review my twitter following list to make sure I'm subscribed. Thanks for subscribing.

Literary Feline: Oh it's payback for all the books you've added to my list ;-)

Guatami Tripathy,OnlinePublicist, Belle: thanks - for stopping by.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP