THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

>> Thursday, September 10, 2009


Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 359
Challenges:
Support Your Local Library Challenge #43

This is the story of 4 couples who are close friends. They all live on Nantucket and have known each other for years, vacationed together, raised their kids together and been a tight circle of friends. The book opens with the deaths of one of the couples in an apparent sailing accident. The rest of the book tells of the aftermath of this tragedy on the group and at the same time reveals the history of the all of them. It’s told from alternating viewpoints and reminiscences of all of the remaining six of the group.

For me it was like reading a TV movie made for what most people would consider a ‘women’s channel’. It was a bit of drama, a bit of mystery about what really happened to the couple who died and a whole lot of soap opera. It was the mystery angle that kept me reading. No matter that I didn’t particularly like any of the characters (OK maybe I liked one), I had to continue to read to find out what really happened.

In order to get there, I had to wade through the four couples being intricately intertwined in a series of relationships, affairs, unfulfilled attractions, petty jealousies and all the typical soap opera antics.

All in all it was a quick read that was just kind of OK for me.


Rating 2.5/5

8 comments:

Diane 9/11/2009 5:57 AM  

Sorry this one did not wow you.

I enjoyed some of this author's books, but others no so much. Nantucket Nights was a favorite. I have not read this one.

alisonwonderland 9/11/2009 10:02 AM  

I just picked this up at the library. I'm thinking I'd read a good review of it. I guess I'll see what I think.

Sherri 9/11/2009 10:30 AM  

I have this on my wish list! Thanks for the review!

Bookfool 9/11/2009 6:00 PM  

That's about how I felt, although I rated it higher because it at least drew me in enough that I don't think I could have done without finding out the ending. But, man . . . yucky people. I read two Elin Hilderbrand books in a row and I'm not sure I'll ever read another.

SuziQoregon 9/11/2009 7:23 PM  

Diane: I haven't read any of her other books. This one just wasn't quite my thing.

Alisonwonderland: I've seen some pretty mixed reviews so I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Sherri: I'll be watching for your review. It's not bad, just not my style.

Bookfool: yeah - the only person in the group I liked was the Chief.

Bookfool 9/14/2009 9:41 AM  

The chief, definitely. He was a good guy.

Les 9/15/2009 3:44 AM  

Ah, so a 2.5, eh? Between you and Nancy, I've decided this is a definite "skip." Thanks for your honest assessment. :)

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 8:59 AM  

Bookfool: I think he was the only one ;-)

Les: yeah - skip it unless you've got a long flight coming up soon.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP