THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Catching Fire Book Cover

Genre: YA – Science-Fiction/Dystopian
Series: #2 in the Hunger Games series Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 391
Challenges:
Support Your Local Library Challenge #44

Wow! Just Wow! This is going to be a hard post to write, but I loved this book and am eagerly anticipating the third in the series.

What’s difficult is to say anything about the plot without giving away things I wouldn’t have wanted to know before I read it. I pretty much avoided all reviews and marked them to read after I finished it because I didn’t’ want to be spoiled. I feel I owe folks that courtesy.

So, what I can say is that if you read and loved The Hunger Games as much as I did, read this. The rollercoaster ride continues. It picks up a few months after the end of the first book and the repercussions of that happened in the game arena are still echoing. Winning the Hunger Games is only the beginning. There is a Victors tour of all the districts and then, of course the prospect of being a mentor to future tributes. Winning isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when you’re plagued with nightmares of what you went through in that arena and know you’ll be a part of The Hunger Games for the rest of your life as a mentor. Add to that the element of political unrest in the country and the increasingly open brutality of the Capitol and you’ve got something simmering that may just blow the lid off the pot.

You’re not going to get any more from me about what happens in this book. Just read it. I know that some folks who really enjoyed The Hunger Games have been disappointed in the sequel. I can understand that, it takes a different path in some ways and is repetitive in others. I liked it a lot and was blown away more than once by plot twists I hadn’t even considered.

I’ll admit I was annoyed at times with some of the stuff that was a repeat or rehash of the first book. I don’t think it was better than the first book and I’m glad that it’s planned as a trilogy so there’s a limited time for getting to whatever the outcome will be. I don’t think it’s better than the first book and probably not as good, but it’s a great continuation of the story. Now that I’ve read it I’m looking forward to spending some time online reading all those reviews I marked to read later and to check out the fan websites that I’m sure are out there.


Rating 4/5

10 comments:

Meghan 9/23/2009 2:04 AM  

I'm glad it's meant to be a trilogy and not an endless story like others have been. It's good to know that the next installment should be the last!

Diane 9/23/2009 7:05 AM  

I MUST read this book --everyone is talking about it. Looks like it was a good one for you too.

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 9:54 AM  

Meghan: I think having a planned end is a good thing. Some series go on too long.

Diane: yes you must ;-)

Heather 9/23/2009 10:09 AM  

I can't wait to listen to this!!! I'm so glad they had the same reader.

Anna 9/23/2009 5:41 PM  

I actually liked this one better. I think the whole political unrest thing was really interesting. What stinks is having to wait another year for the last installment!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Les 9/24/2009 3:26 AM  

Well, you wound up enjoying it better than me! I liked parts of it, but it took me a while to get interested. The back story annoyed me. But, I will read the third! Have to find out how it all ends! :)

Kailana 9/24/2009 7:42 PM  

I did like this, but I didn't love it as much as others have...

Literary Feline 9/25/2009 12:19 AM  

I haven't yet read Hunger Games. If my coworker ever finds her copy, she's assured me I can borrow it. :-) Then maybe I can read this one too. I am glad you enjoyed it so much, Suzi!

Sherry 9/25/2009 7:59 PM  

I think I liked this one better ----except (SPOILER?) for the torn between two lovers motif. I had just read another YA dystopian novel with the same thing in it: a girl with two guys madly in love with her. And she can't choose between them. Is this a common fantasy among teens that I missed. I would have settled for one when I was young, and if I had two of them I think I could have made up my mind.

SuziQoregon 10/06/2009 9:15 PM  

Heather: Yes - I will definitely listen to this one sometime shortly before the next one comes out. I've got The Hubster listening to The Hunger Games right now. We'll finish it on a road trip this weekend. He told me he's really liking The Hunger Games!!

Anna: I agree - the bigger story of the political unrest was good. I kind of wish there had been more of that.

Les: I remember your review and I can totally understand the folks who felt that way. I'm glad it's a planned trilogy.

Kailana: you're definitely not alone in thinking that. Will you read the third one?

Literary Feline: I've really enjoyed both of them. Hope you do too.

Sherry: I didn't like it better, but did thoroughly enjoy it enough to read a second time before returning it to the library ;-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP