THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge

>> Monday, September 21, 2009

Clear Your Shelves Challenge

Swapna at S.Krishna’s Books is hosting a challenge for October and November that is exactly what I need. It’s the Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge.

Here are the pertinent details:

This is a challenge that is aimed at getting through those books that have been sitting on your shelves for months, even years!

Who?
Anyone who wants to sign up!

What?
Any non-review books that are on your shelves and/or review copies that have been on your shelves for over six months.
Crossover with other challenges is welcomed, even encouraged!

When?
This challenge will run from October 1, 2009 – November 30, 2009

Where?
At S. Krishna’s Books!

How?
This challenge will work a little differently than other challenges. Instead of picking a set number of books to read during this time period, you will pick a percentage. This means that a certain percentage of the books you read during these two months will have to qualify for this challenge. For example, let’s say you pick 40% and you end up reading 10 books in October and November. 4 of those books would have to qualify for this challenge in order for you to complete it.
As a result, there is no need to make a list of books prior to starting the challenge, though please feel free to do so if you want to!
There are more details (particularly related to review books) at the Challenge Details Post. I don’t have any review books currently pending or anticipated soon, so those details aren’t pertinent to my participation.

This challenge is perfect for me right now. Recently I’ve been neglecting the books on my bookshelves in favor of library books. Part of the reason for that has been the Support Your Local Library Challenge. Between the books I currently have out from the library and holds that are waiting for me to pick up, I’ll be well within reach of my goal for that challenge . I’ve pretty much wrapped up all the other challenge related books so now is the perfect time to have the incentive to point myself back to the books that are already in my house.

I’m setting a goal of 70% for myself for this challenge. I’ve got plenty to choose from and just need to make sure that for a few weeks any library books I’m interested in go onto my library wishlist rather than my request to hold list. I’m not going to pre-list any books for this. I’ve got plenty here to choose from and need to go with whatever whimpulse strikes in between the library books.
I’m very excited about this challenge. If it sounds like something you’re interested in please check out the challenge details post linked above and join the fun.

6 comments:

S. Krishna 9/21/2009 3:25 PM  

70% - so ambitious, I am really impressed! Good luck!

Diane 9/22/2009 9:54 AM  

WOW...hope you complete your ambitious goal. I need this one too, but am only shooting for 20% which should be about 6 or 7 books.

Good luck.

Kailana 9/22/2009 12:30 PM  

I considered this challenge but I don't know if I am disciplined enough! Good luck!

SuziQoregon 9/23/2009 9:53 AM  

S Krishna: I may be nuts, but I don't read nearly as many books as you do and don't have any upcoming review commitments so keeping myself out of the library will be my only real challenge.

Diane: see - you're another one who reads way more books than I do. Based on past years I average 5-8 books per month and I've got plenty around that I've purchased but not read yet.

Kailana: for me it's going to be a matter of delayed gratification by putting off the library requests. I've got plenty of great books I want to read in the house. Just need to read 'em!!

Bellezza 9/25/2009 7:00 PM  

While this is a challenge which is most needed, Chez Bellezza, I can't do one more thing this Autumn. I'm rooting for you, though!

SuziQoregon 10/06/2009 9:17 PM  

Bellezza: that's why I signed up - I've been using the library a lot, but haven't slowed down my book buying at all. I really need this incentive to read what I already own.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP