THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

>> Friday, December 4, 2009

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

Genre: Fiction
Series: #3 in the Hitchhiker’s series
Publication Date: 1982
Read by: Martin Freeman

The craziness that began with The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy continues in this third volume of a trilogy that is now 5 parts by Adams and a recent 6th volume by Erin Colfer.

Once again I marveled at the genius that was Douglas Adams. This continuation of the adventures of Arthur Dent and his merry (or not so merry in the case of Marvin the android) band had me spinning at the sudden turns it took and laughing as I drove (my primary book listening time).

From Prehistoric Earth to Lord’s Cricket Ground shortly before the Vogons destroy Earth (which happens at the beginning of the first book) to the planet Krikkit and several other stops along the way the fun and craziness keep going. It’s part Science Fiction, part fable, part comedy, part nonsense and all fun.

Don’t go into this series expecting a linear plotline. It’s more like a superball bouncing around the room. Arthur and and his friend Ford Prefect (from somewhere near Betelgeuse) and the others he’s met along the way and the occasional sofa try to save the Universe before the army of white robots from the planet Krikkit destroy it. The whole reason the people of Krikkit want to destroy the Universe? They thought they were alone in it and when they discovered they weren’t they didn’t like it.

Oh and Arthur learns how to fly. And he still doesn’t know the question to go with the Ultimate answer of 42.

Don’t expect it to all make sense, just get the whole series on audio and enjoy. I actually liked this one more than the second book. The 4th is already on my ipod.


Rating 4/5

2 comments:

bermudaonion 12/08/2009 4:36 AM  

My son loves this whole series, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

SuziQoregon 12/08/2009 8:32 PM  

Bermudaonion: it's definitely not a series that's for everyone. I like the zaniness of it, though.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP