THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Merry Christmas - Santa left you a recipe

>> Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas Everyone

Have some Cranberry Cream Cheese Bread


I make this every year and get asked for the recipe all the time so here it is. This is a holiday tradition at our house. It's also a tradition for me to take to work on our last work day before Christmas.

Very easy and very yummy
  • 3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ¼ tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Egg – beaten
  • 1 2/3 cups Milk
  • ¼ cup Cooking Oil
  • 1 cup Chopped Fresh Cranberries
  • 1 3oz. Pkg Cream Cheese – cut into small (1/4 inch or so) chunks (I use a wire cheese cutter)
    ** Edited to add that the 3 oz. packages of cream cheese are no longer available so you'll have to make your best guess with a portion of a larger package.
In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another mixing bowl combine beaten egg, milk, and cooking oil. Add to flour mixture, stirring just till combined. Stir in cranberries and cream cheese chunks.

Pour bread batter into a greased loaf pan or pans. Bake in a 350° oven according to size of loaf pans or until toothpick inserted near the center or centers comes out clean.

One 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan --- 1 to 1 ¼ hour
Two 7½ x 3½ x 2 inch loaf pans --- 40 to 45 minutes
Six 4½ x 2½ x 1½ inch loaf pans --- 30 to 35 minutes

Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool thoroughly on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 large loaf, 2 small loaves, or 6 mini loaves.

Optional add ins:
  • The original recipe includes 3/4 cup chopped nuts, but I think nuts taste like dirt so I don't add them.
  • You can also stir in 2 teaspoons of finely shredded orange peel, but I think it tastes just fine without that.

16 comments:

Mary 12/25/2009 7:04 AM  

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the recipe : )

Vickie 12/25/2009 2:21 PM  

Well YUM! Thank you for sharing! Happy Christmas!!

Les 12/25/2009 3:10 PM  

Yum! What a wonderful gift to share with us. I'll definitely give this a try. I had to laugh about your comment about nuts. ;) I love 'em, but will wonder if they really do taste like dirt next time I have some! I'm not a huge fan of cranberries. Wonder what I could substitute with...

I hope you're having a lovely day, SuziQ! We're trying to look on the positive side of missing our trip to Florida. Guess it's a good thing to have hundreds of unread books to read if we're going to be snowed in with a blizzard howling outside, right?

Merry, Merry Christmas!

Literary Feline 12/25/2009 4:28 PM  

I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas!

Cathy 12/26/2009 3:21 AM  

Yum--love the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Jill 12/26/2009 8:44 AM  

Cream cheese? Sold! This sounds so good!

Margot at Joyfully Retired 12/26/2009 9:53 AM  

A wonderful combination of flavors with the cranberry and cream cheese. I have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Sherrie 12/26/2009 10:51 AM  

Hi!
This looks so Yummy!! I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff

Priscilla 12/26/2009 10:59 AM  

Just happen to have some fresh cranberries & cream cheese in the fridge! I'll try this one. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Anna 12/26/2009 11:54 AM  

That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Beth F 12/26/2009 12:44 PM  

This bread sounds heavenly. I may have to add this to my holiday baking next year.

caite 12/26/2009 6:33 PM  

I agree it sounds wonderful...but I think I would try adding the nuts. I don't agree with the dirt thing...lol

Kailana 12/26/2009 9:51 PM  

I would like Santa better if he not only left the recipe, but cooked the food, too! lol Merry Christmas!

Care 12/28/2009 7:00 AM  

I'm swooning just knowing there is CREAM CHEESE!??! in this. Yum

SuziQoregon 1/03/2010 8:24 PM  

Thanks everyone - hope you like this stuff as much as we do.

And yes, we did have a wonderful Christmas. I've been on vacation and not being good about responding to comments, but I'm back into the routine now.

Les: so sorry your trip to Florida got snowed out ;-( Do you have plans to go another time soon?

Les 1/08/2010 7:40 AM  

We're hoping to go sometime this spring or very early summer. Definitely before hurricane season begins! :) Wish I were there now. It's currently negative 6 here!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP