THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Faces of the Gone by Brad Parks

>> Thursday, January 14, 2010

Faces of the Gone by Brad Parks
Genre: Mystery
Series: #1 in the Carter Ross series (new series)
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 330
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #1
Source: Library

The Short Version:
Fun new mystery series featuring a wisecracking investigative reporter as the main character that is slightly reminiscent of Harlan Coben meets David Rosenfelt meets Lou Grant.

Why I Read It:
Jen at Jen’s Book Thoughts thought it was good. Therefore I needed to read it.

The Book:
Carter Ross is an investigative reporter for Newark, New Jersey’s Eagle-Examiner (cue bird watching jokes). His smart mouth gets him in trouble as often as it gets him results. When four bodies are found in a vacant lot shot execution style, the cops lead the media to think that it’s all related to a previous bar robbery. Carter soon disagrees with that theory. As he starts checking facts and attempting to tell the stories of the victims, he begins questioning this overly convenient but clearly implausible theory. Before it’s all over, Carter and his wonderfully gay Hispanic intern Tommy find their lives in danger as they discover that the true connection between the victims is the drugs they sold.

My Thoughts:
I was impressed with this debut mystery. Set in New Jersey it’s got my favorite parts of Harlan Coben's and David Rosenfelt's books – a smart wisecracking hero and an interesting mystery that keeps me guessing. Parks has a second Carter Ross book scheduled for later this year and I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it.

The story is a fast paced mystery with humor tossed in at regular intervals. Although the wisecracks seem a tad forced in places, it’s still a strong debut and if the promise I see in this first book holds up in the second I’ll have yet another series to follow.

I enjoyed that the protagonist is a newspaper reporter. Parks’ own history in the newspaper business allows him to tell a bit of the inside story of that environment as he weaves the main story. His insights into the life of a reporter and the world of the newspaper business are interesting additions as the reader follows Carter in his quest for the story and the truth.

All in all it’s a fun mystery with an interesting (if teensy bit overdone) main character. I’m definitely planning on reading the next in the series after thoroughly enjoying this strong debut.

4 stars Rating 4/5

8 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves 1/14/2010 7:44 AM  

If both you and Jen give this a thumbs up, I've got to read it! :)

Jen Forbus 1/14/2010 7:58 AM  

Yay! So glad you liked it!! One of my favorite elements is how Carter THINKS he knows Tina, but really, he's clueless. I just loved the relationships all throughout.

I'm almost afraid to recommend anything anymore, though. One of these times either you or Jenn is going to say, "Jen! What WERE you thinking?" ;)

Kay 1/14/2010 1:59 PM  

I'm looking forward to this one too. I ordered it after reading Jen's review or maybe it was Lesa's. Anyway, I have it here. I'm planning on starting it before long and I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it too, SuziQ!

Brad Parks 1/14/2010 4:29 PM  

Hey SuziQ,

Jen pointed this out to me as further evidence that she is singelhandedly propelling me toward the bestseller list. Thanks for the review -- I'm glad you liked it!

Brad

SuziQoregon 1/19/2010 9:07 PM  

Jenn: Oh you definitely need to read this one. I think you'll like it a lot.

Jen: Don't you dare hesitate to make recommendations. I'm learning that we clearly have similar tastes. I'm really looking forward to the Detectives Around the World fun in April.

Kay: It's a fun one and I'm already looking forward to more from Brad Parks. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Brad Parks: Thank you so much for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from an author. Now get back to writing . . . we want more ;-)

Mary 2/05/2010 4:00 AM  

I read an interview with the author on another blog this morning and headed to Goodreads to find out more. Linked to your review there. After reading your thoughts I think I'll give it a try - thanks!

SuziQoregon 2/16/2010 8:41 PM  

Mary: Oh thanks for clicking through to my post. Hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Teena in Toronto 9/11/2012 12:37 PM  

I finished it this morning ... it's good!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP