THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Snow Angels by James Thompson

>> Thursday, January 7, 2010


Snow Angels by James Thompson
Genre: Mystery
Series: #1 in the Inspector Vaara series (new series)
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 264
Challenges: none
Source: ARC from publisher (G.P. Putnam's Sons)

The Short Version:
First in a planned new series that’s intriguing enough to have me looking forward to the second book already.

Why I Read It:
Jen at Jen’s Book Thoughts said it was a good debut which was good enough for me and then she gave Putnam my name (thanks Jen!). When I was offered a review copy I quickly said yes.

The Book:
Kari Vaara is a detective in his small hometown in Lapland. The story opens with the brutal murder of a Somali refugee who had made a name for herself as an actress. It’s just before Christmas north of the Arctic Circle and the unceasing night and brutal cold of winter has maximized the sense of depression for everyone. As Kari investigates the murder he soon finds that the possible suspects include people he knows. It may be a sex crime or a hate crime, but because of the notoriety of the people and his connections to them, Inspector Vaara has the added complications of the media spotlight and the scrutiny of the National Chief of Police. At home, his pregnant American wife is having trouble coping with the arctic winter as much as the people and culture of her husband’s homeland. Is his ultimate goal truth or justice? Can he find both by the end of this story?

My Thoughts:
This book is perfect for reading in the dark and cold of winter. The darkness and cold almost become characters in the story. The effect of the brutal winter impacts almost everyone in the book. The setting in the far north of Finland was a new one for me and I found it interesting. It was a nice change to read a police procedural type of mystery that wasn’t set in a large American city. James Thompson has lived in Finland for many years although he was born in Kentucky. As Inspector Vaara tells the story he’s up front about the depression and often hard drinking that often comes with the season. He sees how his American wife has trouble dealing with it, but frankly he’s preoccupied with a case that becomes more and more personal as the investigation proceeds.

I liked Vaara as a protagonist. He’s got his flaws, but since he’s telling the story I was privy to his thoughts. That’s important because the Finnish people come across as silent and isolationist so a third person narrative wouldn’t get to the inner turmoil that Vaara hides. There are a few over the top coincidences, but the combination of the setting, story and writing made me want to zip through this one without putting it down any longer than necessary.

It’s a dark story in a dark setting. It’s brutally violent and not for the faint of heart. I got to know Inspector Vaara enough that I know I want to hear more from him.


Please check out Jen's Book Thoughts' wonderful interview with James Thompson.


4 stars Rating 4/5

9 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves 1/07/2010 6:35 AM  

Wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.I hope to finish reading it this weekend!

novelwhore 1/07/2010 9:36 AM  

"The darkness and cold almost become characters in the story." - wow, great review! Thanks for sharing.

Nicola 1/07/2010 11:03 AM  

Sounds fabulous!

Kay 1/07/2010 12:45 PM  

I'm looking forward to reading this one too. Maybe not right away since I'm still thawing out from Iron Lake. Soon though. Thanks for a nice review to whet my appetite. :-)

raidergirl3 1/07/2010 2:50 PM  

I have this to read from Librarything, and now I'm looking even more forward to it.

April 1/11/2010 9:11 AM  

Another great review of this book!! I am sooo going to have to get my hands on a copy and very soon!!!

SuziQoregon 1/11/2010 1:46 PM  

Jenn: Just read your review this morning - so glad you liked it as much as I did.

Novelwhore: it's true!! great writing made it feel that way.

Nicola:it is! you should keep it on your radar.

Kay: It does keep that sense of cold going - on one hand it's fitting to read it when it's cold outside, but on the other hand there's an argument to be made for waiting till it's warmer ;-)

Raidergirl: definitely one I recommend.

April Yes! you are and I hope you like it as much as Jenn and I did.

Jen Forbus 1/18/2010 7:36 AM  

I'm slow on the comment here, sorry. I love your observations about setting in this review, SQ! I, too, enjoy the crime fiction set in unique places - although I do always love my Elvis! ;)

I've been reading a lot more set in Europe and Asia and it's almost a lesson in cultures and geography as much as an entertaining read!

So glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for the link to my interview! :)

SuziQoregon 1/19/2010 9:09 PM  

Jen: I need to read more mysteries set in other countries - I've read some, but I want to make a concerted effort to read more. As you said, it's the additional cultural education that makes them a treat.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP