THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook - So Long and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams

>> Thursday, January 21, 2010


So Long and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams (Audio)
Genre: Science Fiction / Comedy
Series: #4 in the Hitchhiker’s Guide series
Publication Date: 1984
Read by: Martin Freeman
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #3
Source: Library

The Short Version:
The zaniness continues with part of the main cast from the first three books mostly absent, but it’s still a heck of a lot of fun with this one being more of a romantic comedy than the others.

Why I Read It:
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed listening to this series and I have to finish it. The question should actually be ‘why haven’t I read this already?’

The Book:
After roaming space and time for (what he figures is about 8 years), Arthur Dent finds himself back on Earth. To his great confusion it seems to have not been destroyed by the Vogons after all, although Arthur clearly remembers it’s destruction being the beginning of his adventures. While coming to grips with the apparent fact of the Earth’s existence, Arthur also finds himself suddenly and inexplicably in love with a girl named Fenchurch. What he can’t figure out is whether he’s the one who is confused about the planet being destroyed (or not) or is it everyone else? And what is up with the fishbowl and the missing dolphins?

My Thoughts:
This one actually has a teensy bit more of a linear plotline than the first three books in the series. Zaphod, Trillian and some of the usual gang aren’t in this one much at all. Even Fort Prefect is only around for part of the story. This one focuses on Arthur and his budding romance with Fenchurch. Don’t worry, the wackiness and space/time travel is still very much a part of the story and it somehow remains true to the story already in process from the first three books and is just as lacking in answers and strong on randomness. Mostly it’s just a lot of fun and thoroughly enjoyable audio.


4 stars Rating 4/5

7 comments:

Kay 1/23/2010 8:01 AM  

Suzi, I nominated you for an award. Come on over and see.

Framed 1/23/2010 10:03 AM  

I'm not much into science fiction but this series sounds like a lot of fun.

Kailana 1/23/2010 3:12 PM  

I really must read more Douglas Adams.

nashvillebookworm 1/26/2010 8:51 AM  

You may also want to seek out the radio play version of the Hitchhiker's books.

That's where Adams created the story and they're really great.

SuziQoregon 1/26/2010 9:08 PM  

Kay: Oh thanks - I'll get over soon to check that out ;-)

Framed: it's such zany science fiction that it really doesn't count. Think radio comedy show since that was how it really started.

Kailana: yes, you must!!

NashvilleBookworm: and that's exactly why I opted to listen to this series via audio rather than read it. I think my library has the radio play versions so maybe someday.

Bookfool 3/05/2010 5:48 PM  

Okay, I guess I'm going to have to give in and read this series, someday. You've convinced me. Plus, adopting a cat who came with the name "Sookie" made me hesitate, the last time I was in the bookstore. I didn't buy, but I hesitated.

Bookfool 3/05/2010 5:50 PM  

Okay, oopsy. I just wrote my comment in the wrong place -- that last comment referred to your Sookie Stackhouse review. You probably figured that out. Having said that . . . Douglas Adams crazed fangirl, here. I got to see him do a reading (and speak about his books) in 1989. So, so cool. He died way too young.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP