THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris

>> Friday, March 5, 2010


Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris
Genre: Mystery / Vampire / Romance
Series: #5 in the Sookie Stackhouse series
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 295
Challenges: Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge #5
Source: Purchased New



The Short Version:
Fun series that’s hard to define with vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and other assorted supernatural creatures who manage to make the life of a small town waitress very very complicated.

Why I Read It:
Next in the series and I'm looking forward to finishing the series by the end of June for the challenge.

The Book:
With any series it’s difficult to discuss plot without giving spoilers to the earlier books so if you haven’t read the others yet, skip the next paragraph.

This time around the story is more about the werewolves and shape shifters than it is the vampires. There appears to be a serial killer on the loose who is targeting the shape shifters who live near Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie is worried that her brother Jason is their number one suspect due to his recent life changing experience. She has until the next full moon to find out who the killer is and keep her brother safe. At the same time, her friend Alcide is asking Sookie to be present at the events related to the competition to determine the new packmaster of his werewolf pack. Once again Sookie’s friends are injured or in danger that extends to Sookie. Will she survive long enough to find out the identity of the killer?


My Thoughts:
I’m still enjoying this series even more as I continue reading it. The world of the supernatural creatures is expanded and explained further with every book. Although the Vampires have ‘come out’ and openly joined society, Sookie continues to interact with other creatures who are still living double lives or in hiding. Her telepathic ‘disability’ continues to be exploited and used by her friends, sometimes with her less than willing participation.

I’m really enjoying the continuing storylines of Sookies various friends. The cast of characters has as many fun and quirky members as it does frightening ones. This time around the Fairies provided much of the humor.


Rating 4/5

6 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks 3/09/2010 7:59 AM  

Loved this series! But no so much this particular episode. It amazed me that no matter how far Harris strayed into the bizarre (were-creatures, fairies, etc.) she still held me with her energetic, humorous and creative writing skills.

Kailana 3/09/2010 8:00 AM  

I need to read more in this series one of these days...

Beth F 3/09/2010 8:00 AM  

As you know, I'm a huge Sookie fan!

Literary Feline 3/09/2010 8:01 AM  

I am so glad you are continuing to enjoy this series. It's so much fun.

Lina 3/09/2010 8:02 AM  

I loved this one. I really liked the part revealed about Claudine and the introduction to all the new characters.

SuziQoregon 3/09/2010 3:31 PM  

RhapsodyinBooks: I agree - they're all a bit different with new creatures or more about creatures that we've already met. Overall, though this one was light on the Vampires.

Kailana: yes you do ;-)

Beth: And thank you for hosting the challenge that got me to move these from the 'one of these days' list to actively reading them.

Literary Feline: I'm really enjoying them more than I expected to. I've sent the first few books on to my Sister-in-Law with the warning that they're very different than anything I've passed along to her previously, but just read them, they're fun. Haven't heard what she thought yet.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP