THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

>> Thursday, March 25, 2010


Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Genre: YA Dystopian Fiction
Series: #2 in the Uglies series
Publication Date: 2005
Pages: 370
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #14
Source: Library


The Short Version:
This continuation of the story begun in Uglies is more of the same, but with a few twists and turns and a lot of semi annoying ‘pretty talk’.

Why I Read It:
I liked the first book in the series and wanted to read the follow-up to its cliffhanger ending.

The Book:
If you haven’t read Uglies yet, then skip this paragraph and go read it. It’s good and you can come back when you’re done. I won’t be spoilery about Pretties, but I can’t say anything without giving away plot from the first book.

So Tally let herself be made Pretty. The plan was for her to test the possible cure for the brain lesions that cause all the Pretty folk to be so compliant. Now that Tally is one of the New Pretties her life consists of one big party. Her biggest worry is whether or not she’ll be voted in to the same clique as her best friend Peris.

But in the midst of a party, Tally is greeted with a bit of her Ugly past. A clue leads her on one trail to a message from herself and another trail through her own mind to the memories cloaked by her surgery that made her Pretty.

The leaders of this dystopian society are gradually revealed to be even more controlling and manipulative than they were in the first book. Again, there’s a cliffhanger ending that keeps book three on my list to read.

My Thoughts:
The ‘pretty talk’ used by the inhabitants of New Pretty Town was downright annoying at the beginning of this book. It’s used, however, for a specific reason and the author makes up for the overdone pretty slang as the book progresses.

While I liked this book and plan to read the third, it didn’t have quite the impact of the first book since this one is more of a continuation rather than revealing of the major story. It’s clearly the transitional book of the trilogy and setting up a conclusion.

I think Tally is a great heroine and her response to the cure for the brain lesions clearly demonstrates her strength and independence. While the community of Smokies Tally came to know in book one is only minimally present in this book, the new elements to the story provide plenty of interest. Tally’s New Pretty Town love interest definitely complicates things.

Rating 3.5/5

5 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks 3/25/2010 7:50 AM  

I found "pretty talk" TOTALLY annoying, but as you say there is a purpose for it. I also thought it was too bad that Peris was so totally pretty-ized.

Bookfool 3/25/2010 5:28 PM  

I agree that the pretty talk was really annoying, at first, but then it did seem to level off and it had its purpose. I've read all three books and enjoyed them all for different reasons, but Uglies is my favorite, simply because I thought he made a powerful statement that was a little lacking in the rest of the trilogy.

auntie-c 3/26/2010 6:50 AM  

Once again, you echo my thoughts exactly on a book. This is why I let you do the reviewing!

kay - Infinite Shelf 3/27/2010 12:32 PM  

Haha! Yes, I found "pretty talk" both annoying and entertaining, but I don't want to hear the word "bubbly" ever again!
I liked Pretties more than Uglies, it was my favorite of the series in fact. Even though, I agree with you that it didn't have the same impact as the first book.

SuziQoregon 4/03/2010 7:47 PM  

RhapsodyinBooks: yeah, I was disappointed in Peris too, but he is like the majority.

Bookfool: If the Pretty Talk hadn't leveled off I probably would have thrown the book against the wall. I understand his purpose for it, but it was awfully grating.

~C: LOL

Kay: Oh that's interesting. I don't think I liked this one as much as I did Uglies.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP