THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Follow up to my Borders Coffee Rant

>> Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Borders: thank you for listening and making a positive change that encourages responsible coffee cup use!

Some background:
A while back I posted a pretty ranty blog post about Borders Cafe and the fact that their free drink after you buy five program disqualified purchases that were discounted due to using my own reusable coffee cup.  If you don't remember what that was all about, go read that post, then come back and read this follow up.


What I did:
Hi again!  Yeah - pretty ridiculous, huh?  Well after the encouragement I got in the comments from that post I took the step of writing a letter to both Borders and Seattle's Best Coffee (since while I think it was a Borders decision, it also reflects on Seattle's Best).  I explained my disappointment that the program encouraged the use of disposable paper coffee cups.





Boo !!!!!---------►


Then I waited.


The Responses:
Within a week or so I did get a nice "thank you for your feedback letter" from Seattle's Best, which was about what I expected.  I didn't get anything from Borders.

I waited some more.

About six weeks after my letter was sent I received an email from Borders
Dear _____,

Thank you for contacting Borders in regards to our Café Loyalty program.

 In regards to the letter that you sent in concerning the cafe accural program.In a continued effort to become a more "green" corporation, we do allow café purchases that include your 10 cent coffee cup discount to go toward your accrual for a free drink item. To take advantage, simply bring your own coffee cup the next time you visit one of our stores.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you again for contacting Borders.com. If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Borders.com Customer Care

The Result:
Ever the skeptic, I wanted proof.  I had been using my own mug but the baristas at my cafe had stopped giving me the discount so I could get my free coffees.  When I told them I'd heard back from Borders and that coffee cup discounts were now included, they were more than willing to help me prove things had changed.  I went back to getting my 10 cent discount (which just gets added to what I toss in the tip jar anyway) and am now getting email coupons for free drinks after I've purchased five.




◄-------- Yay!!!!



I'm happy, my baristas are happy (they thought it was as ridiculous as I did), and the environment is happy.

Thank you Borders for encouraging your cafe customers to do the right thing.



and now rewarding folks for saying no to disposable coffee cups.

8 comments:

Jen Forbus 7/27/2010 7:02 AM  

Way to go!! Good for you on speaking up and working to get a good change made! :-)

Kay 7/27/2010 7:29 AM  

I'm so glad for the happy ending! You were so proactive to contact both companies and follow-up on this. Plus, the employees benefit because their tips are more. Everyone is happy!

rhapsodyinbooks 7/27/2010 8:11 AM  

Yay!!!!! How totally cool that you persevered and made a difference in the world!

Karen :) 7/27/2010 8:20 AM  

Persistence pays off! WTG! For you and Borders!

SuziQoregon 7/27/2010 8:29 PM  

Thanks everyone - I hadn't intended to contact the companies, but the comments on my first ranting post convinced me I should.

I'm so glad they changed their policy.

Teddy Rose 7/27/2010 11:09 PM  

Good for you! That's the way to get companies to know what they are doing wrong and make changes.

Les 7/29/2010 4:44 AM  

Good for you! I'm glad it worked out in your favor!!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP