THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Has it really been four years?

>> Monday, July 12, 2010

Has it really been four years since I started this blog? Sometimes it seems like I’ve been posting here forever and other times it seems like just a few months ago that I decided to keep my reading journal online.



Back in 2006 I had no idea there was such a thing as ‘book blogs’. I was just going to use the blogging format to keep my own reading journal and have a place to point friends when they asked “Read any good books lately?” Within a short time after I published my first posts I started getting comments from people I didn’t even know and from those folks I discovered a whole new world of reading friends. It wasn’t long before I had a core group of regular readers and commenters who sort of became my online book chat group and my primary source of book recommendations.

Then I found out about reading challenges . . . and that got pretty much out of hand. I love the challenges and I love having the chance to get to know other bloggers through them, but someone with a reading addiction can easily become challenge addicted and I overdid it after a couple of years. When I found myself reading almost nothing that wasn’t on a reading challenge list I knew I had to make changes. I reduced my challenge commitments to a select few and returned the fun to my reading.

That’s the key for me. I read for fun. I read for relaxation. I read to be taken to other places, times and worlds. I don’t want to read according to a schedule to fulfill an overwhelming set of commitments. That’s also my approach to this blog. I don’t want it to become an overwhelming commitment I started it for fun and I continue it because it’s fun.

This blog has changed over the years. In addition to the name change, the domain change and the changes to the appearance of my blog, I’ve also gradually modified the content.

As for the appearance, I don’t see myself changing how things look around here. I’m happy with the colors and that photo at the top (one of my very favorites that I’ve ever taken). Some folks change their blog templates pretty regularly, but every time I go looking at other templates and designs I come back here and like it just the way it is.

The content, on the other hand has gradually evolved. When I started I wanted to keep it strictly about the books. I only posted book reviews. Then came the challenges and there were challenge related posts added. About that time I started a couple of other blogs for non book related stuff but after a while I just combined everything here in one spot except for Pirate Bendy.

So – what you’ll find here:

What you won’t find here (Let me be clear – these are great for lots of blogs but they’re just not my thing):
  • A post every day because I do this for fun and when I have something to say and not something I want to feel is an obligation or work
  • Book giveaways because I neither enter nor host them
  • Author interviews because the thought of interviews gives me horrible flashbacks to my days as in middle management
  • Guest posts because this is me
  • A high percentage of new releases and review books because I can’t afford to buy lots of new releases and while I enjoy getting offered review books I limit them so I’m not overcommitted and unable to read the backlist stuff I like so much
  • Regular memes because they’re not my thing (except for Wordless Wednesdays of course)
  • Anything about subscriber or site visit numbers because this is simply not ever going to be one of those blogs with hundreds or thousands of readers. I have a small but regular group of readers and folks who comment and I appreciate all you who fit into that category far more than I care about building a huge blog audience. If new folks join that group I’m thrilled, but a large subscriber number is not my primary goal for this blog.

I enjoy and appreciate all of my blogging friends and hope to be chatting with you here and on your blogs for many more years.

21 comments:

Jen Forbus 7/12/2010 6:49 AM  

Happy 4th birthday Whimpulsive!! :-)

Beth F 7/12/2010 7:02 AM  

Happy 4th!! Awesome.

Love your do's and don'ts. As you say, each to his or her own; the key is to find what works for you.

bookfanmary 7/12/2010 7:07 AM  

Congratulations and Happy 4th anniversary :-)

Karen :) 7/12/2010 7:08 AM  

Happy Anniversary! I have enjoyed your blog and have read and enjoyed several of the books you have reviewed. Keep it up!

rhapsodyinbooks 7/12/2010 7:30 AM  

Happy Fourth!!! I too like the list of what you'll find and what you won't - I agree - it should not feel like an obligation or work!

farmlanebooks 7/12/2010 7:50 AM  

Congratulations on your 4th anniversary!!

I love the way you focus on the books - keep up the great work!!

Aarti 7/12/2010 1:08 PM  

Congratulations, Suzi! Love your blog :-)

Lynne 7/12/2010 1:11 PM  

Wow! Four years and still going strong. I've read every single post and have gotten quite a few good book suggestions from you.

And I love Pirate Bendy and his adventures!

Eleanor 7/12/2010 1:27 PM  

Always a favorite of mine! Keep 'em coming.

Thoughts of Joy 7/12/2010 2:01 PM  

Congratulations, Suzi! I, too, will be turning 4 at the end of the week and already prepared my post because I won't be available to publish it on the day. All that to say, I have chosen a "4" as well. Yours is cute!

I haven't been able to comment as much as I used to or would like to, but I still read Whimpulsive! Glad to know that you plan to continue. Here's to Year #5! :)

Kay 7/12/2010 2:49 PM  

I can't believe it's been 4 years. I haven't been reading your blog that long, but I know I've been around it for at least 3. I feel that you were one of the first blogs I found in 2007, probably from a comment on another blog.

I love your thoughts and always look forward to hearing what you have to say. Plus you are in Oregon, which is my second favorite state (gotta keep Texas my first). Congrats on 4 years. I love that you do things your own way. Three cheers for you, Suzi!

Bookfool 7/12/2010 5:22 PM  

Happy 4th, Q!!! I wuv your blog. :)

The little cartoon 4 is so cute. Naturally, before I commented, I had to go back and look at all those glorious Howie pictures. Such fun! He's and Fi are definitely soulmates in goofiness.

Anna 7/13/2010 6:12 AM  

Happy blog anniversary!

Patty 7/13/2010 4:57 PM  

You are blogging just the way it should be...I enjoy reading your blog and reviews...and I love kitty cat photos!!!

Carrie K. 7/13/2010 9:26 PM  

Congratulations on four years - and on blogging your way!

Teddy Rose 7/14/2010 10:00 PM  

Happy Blogiversary Suzie! You were one of the first blogs I started following when I started blogging.

SuziQoregon 7/17/2010 3:35 PM  

Wow! Y'all are the best! I mean that!
This just made my whole week.

Some of you I've known from the beginning (a few from even before that) and others are newer friends.

Joy: I love that our blogs are nearly fraternal twins - we started just a few days apart.

Bookfool: Yes Howie and Fi are definitely two goofs in a pod (and near lookalikes too).

These are the kind of relationships that make this blogging thing such fun.

Thanks to all of you for helping me celebrate another anniversary.

unfinishedperson.com 7/20/2010 9:09 AM  

Happy belated anniversary. I meant to get here last week, but well...I was busy and I'm a procrastinator. Like you, I started just to keep track of books I'd read and didn't even know there was such a thing as a book blogging community. Now that my blog has moved beyond just book blogs, I still find those book bloggers the best among bloggers. It's almost like family; in fact, I recognize many of those commenting here.

SuziQoregon 7/21/2010 9:04 PM  

unfinishedperson: isn't it wonderful what a great group of friends we've developed as a side effect of something we started just for fun?

Les 7/29/2010 4:58 AM  

Has it really been four years?! Your blog was one of the very first I discovered when I jumped into this exciting world of book reviews. I love the connection we have to Oregon, and I always look forward to your Wordless Wednesday photos. Always such a treat!

Like Joy, I haven't had as much time to blog-hop this past year, but yours is still one of my all-time favorites to visit.

Here's to many, many more years of book chatter and friendship!

SuziQoregon 7/30/2010 9:11 PM  

Les: yup for years and I feel that we have a connection beyond being fellow bloggers. You're definitely one of the first real friends I made in the blogging world. Glad we're still keeping up with each other. One of these days we'll get together at the Chowder Bowl!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP