THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Sorrow's Anthem by Michael Koryta

>> Tuesday, July 6, 2010


Sorrow’s Anthem by Michael Koryta

Genre: Mystery
Series: #2 in the Lincoln Perry series
Publication Date: 2006
Pages: 309
Challenges: Support you Local Library #27
Source: Library


The Short Version:
PI Lincoln Perry tries to help out an old but estranged friend, but when the friend dies, Perry is unwilling to accept the police department’s quick conclusion of his friend’s guilt.

Why I Read It:
I’d read the first in the Lincoln Perry series a couple of years ago and when I started seeing friends reading Koryta’s latest release it reminded me that I needed to get back to this series and this author’s work.

The Book
Lincoln Perry's old friend Ed Gradduk is in trouble. Even though they haven't spoken in years, Lincoln seeks out Ed after Ed is implicated in an arson and murder. He feels like he owes Ed some help because of what happened that caused their estrangement.

Unfortunately before Lincoln can do much of anything for Ed, he gets a few mysterious clues and then Ed dies.

While the cops are ready to close the arson/murder case and place the blame on Ed, Lincoln is not so willing to accept their version of the events.

As Lincoln convinces his partner that they need to investigate this case, he also has to deal with his past before the truth can come out.


My Thoughts:
I liked the first book in the Lincoln Perry series well enough, but I thought this one was even better. The way that the Perry’s own history was doled out through the telling of this story was great. I enjoyed the investigation and effort to prove that Lincoln’s old friend Ed really didn’t kill the woman in the house that burned. What I liked even more was the way that Lincoln’s own history with his friends and family was revealed.

I enjoy the relationship of Perry and his partner Joe Pritchard who is a retired Cleveland cop. Their banter is humorous without really feeling too strained and Lincoln is definitely my preferred type of protagonist - an intelligent smart mouth. This book is much more about Perry though than it is about Joe or even the two of them as a team. I like mystery and crime fiction with a bit of humor in them and this book had enough of that to keep me entertained without taking away from the primary investigation.

Koryta does a good job of creating a sense of what Perry’s old Cleveland neighborhood felt like as he was growing up and of how it’s changed over the years. It has politics, corrupt cops, gangsters and people just trying to survive in a tough neighborhood. All in all, it’s a good second novel from a young and talented author. I’m looking forward to the next in the series as well as Koryta’s standalone novels.


Rating 4/5

3 comments:

Jen Forbus 7/06/2010 8:30 AM  

I've told you this before, but this is my sentimental favorite from the series. And I just LOVE where the title comes from...art!

Bookfool 7/06/2010 7:40 PM  

Well, it doesn't sound like my thing but I enjoyed your review and just had to drop by to say "hi", since I haven't done much blog-hopping, lately. Hi!

SuziQoregon 7/11/2010 7:59 PM  

Jen: Oh yeah - the explanation of the title was wonderful. I enjoyed this one a lot. Looking forward to the third in the series.

Bookfool: yeah - probably not your style, but it always brightens my day when you stop by.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP