THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

What's in a Name? 3 Challenge Wrap Up

>> Monday, July 5, 2010


I thought I was going to have to do without one of my favorite challenges this year, but Beth Fish Reads stepped in to take over for Annie and host the What’s in a Name? 3 Challenge.

The categories just seem to get more and more interesting every year.

For this year’s challenge readers were once again required to read 6 books. The books had to be chosen based on words their titles matching up with the six categories. I was able to find books that fit the challenge from my TBR list or that came up in my normal adding to that list.

The books I read for each category were:

A book with a "food" in its title: Blood Orange Brewing by Laura Childs – this was part of her Tea Shop Cozy mytery series and while it was enjoyable enough, I think I won’t likely continue with that series.

A book with a "body of water" in its title: Lake of Sorrows by Erin Hart – this was the second in a mystery series that features mystery, archeology, and forensics all wrapped up with Irish history and culture.

A book with a "title" in its title: The Queen's Secret by Jean Plaidy – Historical Fiction about Katherine of Valois who married Henry V from one of the Grand Dames of the Genre who wrote prolifically under several pseudonyms from from the 1950s into the 1990s.

A book with a "plant" in its title: Chile Death by Susan Wittig Albert – another one from a cozy mystery series. This is the Herb Shop series and is one I will continue with. It’s a great cozy series with fun characters and a bit of information about herbs thrown in the mix.

A book with a "music term" in its title: Lullaby Town by Robert Crais - #3 in his Elvis Cole series was a fun missing person case that took Elvis and Joe across country, but didn’t take the fun out of Elvis and Joe. This category was a surprisingly tough one.

A book with a "place name" in its title: Ghosts of Everest by Jochen Hemmleb, Larry Johnson and Eric Simonson was a truly fascinating combination of adventure and history.

This is a great challenge because the books end up being such a variety. I’m thrilled to know that Beth Fish Reads is already working on the categories for next year’s challenge. I’ll be signing up just as soon as she opens the door.

4 comments:

Michelle 7/05/2010 6:52 PM  

Congratulations on finishing! I have one more category to read, and I will get to it before the end of summer. It is fun to see the different books people have used for each of the categories. It proves just how eclectic our tastes are, and how many books there are out there!

Beth F 7/08/2010 4:15 AM  

Way to go on finishing! I'm already thinking of next year's categories. I think people really have fun with this challenge.

SuziQoregon 7/08/2010 9:07 PM  

Michelle: thanks! This has been one of my favorite challenges ever since it's first year. I think it's partly due to the variety of books that qualify and the fun of finding books that fit the categories.

BethF: Again - thank you SO much for stepping in and keeping this challenge alive. I'm eagerly anticipating learning next year's categories and in the meantime I love browsing the list of what books folks have chosen for this year's categories. I've added several books to my TBR list from them.

Booklogged 7/09/2010 9:52 PM  

SuziQ, this is a fun challenge. When I first saw your post title I thought it may be just starting and I could join up. Guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

Congrats on finishing!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP