THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Book Blogger Appreciation Week – Unexpected Treasure

>> Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week continues and the buzz is building and my Google Reader is exploding.  



The daily posting theme this year is “A Treasure Chest of Infinite Books and Infinite Blogs”.  For today’s Unexpected Treasure, the topic is sharing a book or genre I tried due to the influence of another blogger.  What made me cave in to try something new and what was the experience like.

I’m not going to talk about a specific book but more about a classification and a few genres within that classification.  In the past year I’ve read far more Young Adult books than I think I read as a young adult. Most of the YA books I’ve read in the past year have been speculative fiction (dystopian, supernatural or post-apocalyptic).  

What made me cave in and try this type of book?  I can answer that question in one word: TWEERPRESSURE.  That’s what happens when a conversation among book bloggers on Twitter about a book or series makes me head to the library or Powell’s website and start browsing and adding to my To Be Read list.  

Granted not all of my ventures into Young Adult speculative fiction have been rousing successes, but I have found many enjoyable surprises.

It was actually The Hunger Games that got me started.  I read that last spring only because so many of my blogger friends read and recommended it. From there I was led to The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden which I have thoroughly enjoyed and want to get to the fourth book in that series soon .  Some of the paranormal stories have been enjoyable but not necessarily favorites (Ruined by Paula Morris and Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble).

I’ve had a few less than successful reads due to Tweerpressure. I didn’t love The Forest of Hands and Teeth nearly as much as many of my blogging friends (clearly I’m not a zombie fan).  The Uglies series showed promise (loved the first one), but I wasn’t interested in continuing after reading the second.  Beautiful Creatures was fine, but not something that has me craving the second book.

I think what I learned is that I tend to like the dystopian or post-apocalyptic stuff in the young adult classification more than the paranormal stuff, but that makes sense because I don't read that much paranormal adult fiction either.


For me, the book blogging community is truly “A Treasure Chest of Infinite Books and Infinite Blogs”.

8 comments:

Megan 9/15/2010 1:10 AM  

Yay for dystopia! :)

gautami tripathy 9/15/2010 1:50 AM  

I read Dystopian novels now and then!

Here is my BBAW: Unexpected Treasure post!

Trish 9/15/2010 6:25 AM  

Tweerpressure! I love it! I can't blame twitter but I totally broke down and read the Twilight series due to bloggers!

Suey 9/15/2010 6:47 AM  

So many people are talking about The Hunger Games today. Interesting. And Tweerpressure? Perfect word!

rhapsodyinbooks 9/15/2010 7:13 AM  

I love the word Tweerpressure! I think that got me to Hunger Games too, and definitely got me to the Sookie Stackhouse series!

irisonbooks 9/15/2010 8:24 AM  

That last sentence is so sweet! And I never would have started reading YA if it wasn't for blogging and "Tweerpressure" as you call it.

Amanda 9/15/2010 12:09 PM  

I LOVE the term tweerpressure!!

SuziQoregon 9/18/2010 8:23 AM  

Hi all - glad you like the term "tweerpressure". It's been the reason for several books I've read in the past year or so. Love the conversations about books on Twitter, but it's tough on my TBR list.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP