THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

>> Tuesday, September 21, 2010



Still Missing by Chevy Stevens


Genre: Suspense / Psychological Thriller
Publication Date: 2010
Pages: 340
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #39
Source: Library




The Short Version:
Annie O’Sullivan tells the story of her past year to her therapist, but it’s a year worth telling that includes her abduction, terror, pain and her attempts at recovery and justice.

Why I Read It:
It was Joy’s review at Thoughts of Joy that made me add this to my TBR list. When she gets this excited about a debut thriller, I know I need to read it.

The Book:
The story is told by Annie in a series of sessions with her therapist. She begins with how she was abducted as she was closing up an Open House for the day. As she tells the story of her abduction and captivity she also deals with her present day circumstances of attempting to recover from the trauma and hoping that the investigation will determine who it was that abducted her and why.

Telling much more of the plot than this would be giving away information that I think readers shouldn’t know ahead of time.

My Thoughts:
I agree with Joy. This was a very good debut by Chevy Stevens. It’s a thrilling and terrifying suspenseful story. Despite the fact that I knew Annie survived her ordeal, the suspense of her captivity was still there. Another reason the story remained suspenseful was that in addition to telling her therapist about the events of the past year, Annie is also telling the story of her continued terror and post traumatic stress. Still not knowing the identity of her abductor and why she was held captive, Annie is home but still a captive to her fears and uncertainties.

Stalked by the media, unsure of her relationships with her friends and former boyfriend, she doesn’t have many reliable people to lean on. Her relationship with her mother has been rocky and troubled for years so that’s not exactly a source of strength and stability either. Her only reliable shoulders are her dog and her therapist and perhaps the sergeant handling the investigation.

Annie’s fear comes through clearly as she talks to her therapist, but what also comes through is the psychological torture and damage she has suffered due to her captivity and the unspeakable violence she suffered. She seems to want to recover, but is at a loss as to how to do that.


Rating 4.5/5

4 comments:

Thoughts of Joy 9/21/2010 11:01 AM  

LOL I don't think I like my reputation, but I'm glad that I could successfully reciprocate with a book recommendation for you. :) So happy to see us on the same page. Great book.

M. 9/21/2010 8:23 PM  

Hi,
visited during BBAW and included you in a shoutout on creatively titled blogs!
Maya

Les 9/26/2010 7:15 PM  

You and Joy have both convinced me that I need to read this ASAP! I've had the ARC for several months, but haven't had a chance to read it. I'm currently reading Room, which also deals with an abduction, so maybe that'll be my fall theme. :)

SuziQoregon 9/27/2010 2:20 PM  

Joy: LOL I pay attention when I see a review like that from you. You've rarely steered me wrong when you've rated a book that high.

Maya: Oh thank you so much!!

Les: Oh I think you'll like this one. I'm very curious to hear what you think of Room - I've seen a real mixture in the reviews.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP