THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith

>> Tuesday, November 16, 2010


The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith (Audio)

Genre: Fiction
Series: #11 in the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series
Publication Date: 2010
Read by: Lisette Lecat
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #48
Source: Library

The Short Version:
Not much of a detective story, but an enjoyable visit with familiar characters in Bostwana

Why I Read It:
I’ve listened to all the previous books in this series and thoroughly enjoy listening to Lisette Lecat read them.

The Book:
Precious Ramotswe only has a couple of minor detective agency related stories in this installment of the series. One of which ends up having both partners in a marriage ask her to find out if the other is having an affair. The other detective type storyline isn’t that complex and involves finding a safari guide who was kind enough to a visiting American woman that she left him some money in her will.

The more involved storyline in this one is that Mma Ramotswe’s assistant, Grace Makutsi has some personal trauma to deal with. Her fiancé is injured and his aunt uses this as an opportunity to keep Mma Makutsi away from him whether out of jealousy or because she feels Grace is not worthy as a future member of the family.

Of course Mma Makutsi’s arch nemesis Violet Sepotho makes a reappearance too.

My Thoughts:
As always I absolutely enjoyed the heck out of listening to Lisette Lecat’s reading of this series. Her voices and and personalities she gives to the characters have made them feel like old friends by this point in the series. The running jokes are totally expected, yet they still make me laugh.

It’s a very slow paced and rather plot thin series and I’m sure that if I read the books I would not have continued with it, but the audio versions are just a complete delight. The gentle sensibility of Precious Ramotswe and her love for her homeland of Botswana make her a fictional character that I’d love to sit down with for a cup of tea (red bush tea, of course).


Rating 3.5/5

3 comments:

Les 11/17/2010 2:53 PM  

Good to know that the audios are better than the books. I'll give them a try even though I have 3 or 4 of the books sitting on my shelves. I just couldn't get interested in #1.

Anonymous,  11/22/2010 1:36 AM  

I like reading your site because you can constantly bring us new and awesome things, I think that I should at least say a thank you for your hard work.

- Henry

SuziQoregon 11/23/2010 9:05 PM  

Les: I've only read this series via audio, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much if I'd read them.

Henry; thanks!!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP