THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Confessions of a Serial Reader – they come and go, but I remain a series addict

>> Monday, November 22, 2010


When I did my first “Confessions of a Serial Reader” post, I said it was going to be an occasional feature here, but looking back it appears that it’s been far more occasional than I originally intended. I never wanted to be too strict about scheduling the posts, but I didn’t intend it to be quite so long between posts. Maybe I can shoot for at least monthly in the future? We’ll see.

I spent some time last week updating my To Be Read Spreadsheet and making sure that my spreadsheet, my current books and ebooks, my library wish list and my Goodreads “To Read” list were all in sync. It was a time consuming project because I had been hit and miss lately on keeping everything up to date.

Part of the process was to update the sheet in my TBR spreadsheet where I track all my current series and where I am in the series and the title of the next book. This is the page I rely on when I’m at the library or the bookstore and it’s also the one that’s a bit overwhelming when I see how many series I’ve started.

While I was updating my series page I did some weeding out and removed the series I’ve chosen to abandon as well as adding the new series I’ve started recently.

New Series I’ve added to my list:

Seeds of America by Laurie Halse Anderson – this is a young adult trilogy set in Revolutionary America and featuring a couple of teenage slaves. I’ve read the first and definitely plan to continue with the trilogy.




Tom Thorne by Mark Billingham – This is a british detective series that I just recently started and want to get caught up with before the newest US release comes out next July.




Maze Runner by James Dashner – Another young adult trilogy that I plan to continue. I didn’t love the first book The Maze Runner quite as much as some of my blogging friends, but I found it interesting enough that I do plan to read the second book The Scorch Trials even though I don’t feel an urge to rush into reading it right away.



Jonathan Grave by John Gilstrap – I’ve been a fan of John Gilstrap for years and even though some of his books haven’t been stellar, I think he’s really hit the right mark with this series. I’ve read the first and already have the second ready to read soon. Jonathan Grave is a wealthy, secretive man who runs a hostage rescue business. It’s exciting, suspenseful, not exactly within the confines of the law type of adventure.



Carter Ross by Brad Parks – Faces of the Gone was a wonderful debut and Investigative reporter Carter Ross is a character I’m looking forward to getting together with again. The second in this series is due out in February and I’ll be stalking my bookstore for it.




Inspector Vaara by James Thompson – This new police detective series set in the far north of Finland was a nice change from the typical large major city detective story. The great combination of setting, story and writing have me eager for the next book due out in March.




The House on Tradd Street by Karen White – Charleston, South Carolina is one of my very favorite cities and this series combining modern romance, historical fiction, a bit of ghost story and mystery was quite enjoyable and I’m looking forward to the second in the series.



Series I’ve started but abandoned:

The Caster Chronicles by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia – I liked the beginning of this young adult paranormal romance-ish story well enough, but there just wasn’t enough there for me to seek out the next book.




Uglies by Scott Westerfeld – I thought the first book in this young adult dystopian story was wonderful and a fascinating premise, but the second book was a disappointment with more of the same and additional annoyances that haven’t given me any reason to continue with the series.




Teashop Mysteries by Laura Childs – This is a cozy mystery series set in Charleston, South Carolina that I’ve been reading for several years and although I’ve enjoyed the series and the setting, I have decided that after seven books in the series I’m done. They just began to feel a bit flat and repetitive without some of the stuff I enjoyed in the earlier books.



What about you? What series have you added or abandoned recently?

7 comments:

Karen :) 11/22/2010 6:52 AM  

I started reading the PC Cast "House of Night" series with Samantha, but they have gotten so totally out there that I abandoned it after "Tempted."

I am on the fence about Stephanie Plum. Even when I know there is not too much new territory, I just can't help reading the next one.

Jen Forbus 11/22/2010 7:01 AM  

Oh, a lot of yours sound familiar. I'm going to be reading Tom Thorne. Of course I love the Carter Ross series and have read the next one. Sadly that means I'll have to wait a long time for book #3. Vaara is another new to me series. I'll start book #2 soon.

I read quite a few of the Lou Boldt books this year. I was very familiar with the Walt Fleming series, but this was the first time I had read Lou Boldt.

I also started reading the Rizzoli and Isles series. I'd read several of Gerritsen's stand alone thrillers, but this was the first R&I. Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon was new to me this year, too.

Bryan Gruley's STARVATION LAKE was fabulous and I'll definitely be reading THE HANGING TREE. And I started Walter Mosley's new series with Leonid McGill. I don't know if you can actually call it new anymore since the third book is coming out in '11, but...you know. :-)

Oh, how I love my series!

jenclair 11/22/2010 8:40 AM  

I love a series! If the characters become friends, keeping up with their adventures becomes paramount.

I'm saving A Conspiracy of Kings, the latest Megan Whalen Turner as a means of postponing my pleasure. I follow so many series in fantasy, YA, and mystery that there is almost a new installment waiting.

Thanks for some good suggestions!

raidergirl3 11/22/2010 3:36 PM  

I love this feature, although it's dangerous for my reading. I seem to find enough new series on my own without yours to add.
Like:

Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. I've read the first and hope to keep reading.

Inspector Espinosa Mysteries by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza.
I've read 1, 2 and 7. Espinosa is a philospher-inspector, and the series is set in Rio de Janeiro

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvager. YA, werewolf, it was okay, but I wasn't invested enough to want to read anymore in the series.

I read Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer, which is second in a series set in South Africa and which was great! I need to figure out what the first book was.

Beth F 11/25/2010 5:39 AM  

I am reading this post ... why? Sigh. Now I'm writing down more series to check out. I am very afraid to list my series -- I think I'm in the middle of a hundred at least.

You know, I read Uglies on my niece's recommendation and I liked it just fine. But for some reason I haven't picked up the second. I should at least give it a try.

SuziQoregon 12/01/2010 7:00 PM  

Oh I knew this post would add to my series list - looks like a bunch I need to check out.

Karen: I'm also on the fence w/ Stephanie, I stopped reading the books and we listen to one book a year when we take a road trip to Southern Oregon. They make good road trip audios.

Jen: Well some of them should sound familiar because they're YOUR FAULT!! (you enabler you). I've only read the first Lou Boldt book, but want to get back to that series. I'll definitely be checking into your other recommendations.

Jenclair: Exactly! The characters become friends.

Raidergirl: thanks - I really hope to be more regular about it in the future. I've read some of the Dexter books, but that Inspector Espinosa series sounds intriguing,.

Beth F: LOLOL

Debbie's World of Books 12/28/2010 3:35 PM  

Uglies was by far the best in the series so I don't think you are missing much. I loved Beautiful Creatures but I have such a hard time picking up chunkster books so haven't read Beautiful Darkness yet.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP